    Chiers

    FYI, board is a KT7 running 116 FSB with max BIOS setable multiplier of 13x.

    Jib

    Dylan, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Dylan

    Wes Newell Guest

    Just a wag, but they probably enable the 8x multiplier bit of the 1400B
    tbird. Unless I had one though I sure wouldn't buy one when there are so
    many other options that are better and cheaper.
    So what are you wanting to do with this baord? See link below.

    Wes Newell, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Dylan

    Dylan Guest

    Wes,
    I have an unlocked 1.33 gig 'C' t'bird which im pretty sure can go higher
    than the 1508 its at now and set to a 13x multiplier. Thus i'd like to try
    14x but I cant find any way to get. There will be no cost involved in doing
    this. Wont be buying a new cpu until i get a new mainboard, ram & other
    stuff, ie new box. I tried XP's in my KT7 and they didnt work.

    Cheers

    Dylan

    Dylan, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Dylan

    Wes Newell Guest

    AFAIK, there's no external access to an 8x multiplier bit in the tbird
    line of cpu's. If there is, and you can find it, then you could get 14x.
    Then you did something wrong. An XP should work in any KT7 board. There
    are a few that won't boot without mods. These are Tbred A cores with
    default multipliers over 12.5 (2100+ and 2200+). Any other XP should boot
    without mods. I think there are hundreds that can verify this.

    Wes Newell, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Dylan

    Dylan Guest

    Right, so the T'bird 1400 'B' (14 x 100) must be modified interally at the
    fab. I read that these run at 14 x when the bios is set to 5 x.
    Unfoutunately mine wont boot at 5 x even with a 100 MHz bus speed.

    Yeah nah the XP was obviously the cpu of choice when I wanted to upgrade
    from my Duron. An XP was too expensive to buy and only see it fail to work
    Luckily a parts shop let me try a few Palamino XP's. Cant really see how to
    do it wrong? Tried Duron to XP straight swap; no joi, tried clearing the
    cmos; no joi, tried hard resets; no joi. Was using the A9 bios. I mean if
    you gotta 'fix it' in some way to get something to work then its broken and
    aint meant for that use. Dont get me wrong i love to change the board, eg
    voltage mod, but were talking about a processor upgrade here. Not meant to
    be rocket science, thats why they devised ZIF sockets even! The upgrade from
    a 900 MHz o/c Duron to a 1.5 Ghz T'bird produced dividends regardless. The
    KT7 has been the best mobo i've owned and served its function well, even
    though it wouldn't boot with an ISA sound card (forcing me to buy a new one)
    and upset me when the KT7A's were released not long after the KT7's were
    available. I'll keep running it until it refuses to. But even with the
    fastest processor in the world in it it would still be a slug c.f. todays
    speed spec'd feature packed turbos. So once again i'm searching for
    worthwhile upgrades...

    Thanks for the info
    btw, if possible, i recommend an increase in bus speed from 100Mhz , your
    memory & system will love it.
    Dylan

    Dylan, Jan 8, 2004