    an expensive one. Is that upgrade worth it? I may have to set my sights a
    bit lower.

    Thanks

    Kevin M., Feb 6, 2007

  2. Kevin M.

    hacker Guest

    I've got the T5500 and can't cause it to fully load both processors by
    any means (on XP, so far). Also only 1 G ram, but did upgrade to get
    the 7200 rpm SATA. I'd say this is zippy enough as is. Can't imagine
    what more could be needed, unless you're a gamer.

    regards,

    hacker, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Kevin M.

    journey Guest

    Do you think the faster hard drive makes a difference? Do you know
    how a faster drive might affect battery life?

    journey, Feb 7, 2007
  4. Kevin M.

    Kevin M. Guest

    I'm not talking about the hard drive. I'm referring to the T7200 Processor.

    Kevin M., Feb 7, 2007
  5. Kevin M.

    hacker Guest

    as I said, my experience with the T5500 is that it's fast enough for
    me.

    hacker, Feb 8, 2007
  6. Kevin M.

    hacker Guest

    I can't say how it might have effected the battery, since I didn't run
    it on a 5400 drive. But, my battery life seems ok (3-4 hours).
    Reason I went with 7200 is because I noticed a significant speed
    increase on my previous desktop when I upgraded from 5400 to 7200 rpm.

    hacker, Feb 8, 2007
  7. Kevin M.

    journey Guest

    Thank you -- that's good information. I'm waiting for a $750 off
    coupon so I can buy a loaded Core 2 Duo 1405. I will probably go with
    the faster drive. My laptop would then have more processing power
    than my desktop .....

    journey, Feb 8, 2007
  8. You really can't correlate drive RPM to battery life, as some 7200 rpm
    drives draw less power than some 5400 rpm drives. You can, of course,
    compare any two specific drives. But you can't compare the overall
    category of 7200 vs. 5400 rpm drives in any meaningful way.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 8, 2007
  9. Kevin M.

    Tom Scales Guest

    You'll likely be waiting forever. I don't foresee anymore $750 coupons.

    Tom Scales, Feb 8, 2007
  10. Kevin M.

    Kevin M. Guest

    Thanks everyone, but I'm still trying to get some information about the
    T7200 Processor vs some of the cheaper processors. Not a hard drive.

    Kevin M., Feb 8, 2007
  11. Kevin M.

    journey Guest

    I agree -- although if there is a significant slowdown, maybe they
    will offer it again. It will be interesting to see if Vista helps or
    hurts Dell sales. I'll post in another thread some questions I have
    about when to buy. At least Dell offers 20% off coupons.

    journey, Feb 8, 2007
  12. It's faster, more expensive, uses somewhat more power and gets somewhat
    hotter.

    What else do you need to know?

    Barry Watzman, Feb 8, 2007
  13. Keep in mind Dell isn't happy with their own performance .. they fired
    the CEO last week. And they clearly lost some sales by changing their
    pricing structure and "deal offerings" (I bought a Toshiba A105 when
    with the right deal, I would have spent hundreds more for an E1505 ...
    and it's pretty clear just from reading this board that I wasn't alone
    in not buying Dell). So put those together and you never know what
    might happen.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 8, 2007
  14. Kevin M.

    Tom Scales Guest

    But the $750 coupons and the like are exactly what caused the problem. They
    cut prices too low.

    Tom Scales, Feb 8, 2007
  15. Kevin M.

    Notan Guest

    According to Dell's press release, "Mr. Rollins has resigned, effective
    immediately, from his position as CEO and as a member of the Board of
    Directors.

    So, unless you're privy to some other information, he wasn't *officially*
    fired.

    As far as "they clearly lost some sales by changing their pricing
    structure...," do you know this for a fact, or is it possible that
    other factors contributed. With only a few dozen regulars, I doubt
    you can say this newsgroup is representative of all Dell buyers.

    Notan, Feb 8, 2007
  16. Kevin M.

    Tom Scales Guest

    Michael Dell made a statement that they lost significant profits because the
    lowered their prices too much. He stated that they would no longer be doing
    that and would live through the consequences. The reality is that the
    market will follow him, just like airlines all set the same price for the
    same route (except Southwest).

    So I can say they lost sales because of the new pricing structure as a fact
    and it was intentional.

    As for Mr. Rollins, at his level, no one is ever fired. They are asked to
    resign. I would be comfortable with the statement that he was asked to
    leave.

    Tom Scales, Feb 8, 2007
  17. Kevin M.

    Notan Guest

    Do you think "new pricing structure" includes outsourced support?

    Notan, Feb 8, 2007
  18. Kevin M.

    Tom Scales Guest

    Nah, that happened a long time ago, when they dropped prices. If anything
    it means onshore support

    Tom Scales, Feb 8, 2007
  19. Kevin M.

    Notan Guest

    What I'm saying is, while Michael Dell publicly writes the problems off to
    the "new pricing structure," don't you think Dell's decline in support was,
    in fact, a good part of the problem?

    Notan, Feb 8, 2007
  20. Kevin M.

    Kevin M. Guest

    Well, yes, it is obvious that it's more expensive as indicated in my initial
    post. I was hoping someone may could elaborate on the performance vs. the
    cheaper processor options.

    Thanks.

    Kevin M., Feb 9, 2007