    year or so very quickly. It's hard to re-gain that trust and customer
    confidence once it departs.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 9, 2007

  2. Kevin M.

    Tom Scales Guest

    He was talking about the profit problem, not the sales problem. They
    actually were selling pretty well, the margins were just to thin.

    Tom Scales, Feb 9, 2007

  3. Kevin M.

    Notan Guest

    Isn't that the reason Dell went to overseas support? To increase profits?

    It certainly wasn't to increase customer satisfaction!

    Notan, Feb 9, 2007
  4. Kevin M.

    journey Guest

    Exactly -- I bet there are a lot of people like me waiting for those
    deep discounts. I always bought a loaded system for the $750 off.
    Now, if they aren't offered, I will either buy a Dell at a higher
    price (more profit for Dell) or go elsewhere. I know Dells though,
    and I like the turnaround for fixing notebook problems, so eventually
    I'll probably buy a Dell (I don't like Toshibas, Gateways, HPs). I
    will compare the Dell with a Lenovo, but when I've done that the Dell
    is always the better bargain.

    journey, Feb 9, 2007
  5. Kevin M.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Notan -

    Chicken/egg. They went overseas for less expensive (support) labor so that
    they could cut prices on the systems so that they could take market share
    but at smaller margins per unit, I suppose compensating with increased
    sales/revenue volumes. "Scorched earth" approach.

    Now the entire PC market has slowed, someone has decided margins are again
    important (over market share and perhaps revenues) and it's really hard to
    cross back over a bridge that is still smoldering from where it was very
    recently burned. g

    At least that's the way I see it.

    -Stew

    PS- You're still a punk and I'm knocking you out next time I see you.

    S.Lewis, Feb 9, 2007
  6. Kevin M.

    journey Guest

    I've had my share of Dell Hell support. Once I was confident that I
    knew how to work their system but soon after I had a situation where I
    had to make about 20 calls, went through their phone system maze,
    ended up with a dial tone, blah blah blah.

    I just don't know who else to go with other than Dell.

    journey, Feb 9, 2007
  7. Kevin M.

    journey Guest

    Out of curiosity, does anyone think that the support provided from
    India is improving over time? I know that they use satisfaction
    metrics. The best strategy I have when dealing with a person in India
    who is not very good is to hang up and call back. I do think that
    they are getting better. It really irritates me when they use names
    like Mark or Bill or Elizabeth when they are in India.

    journey, Feb 9, 2007
  8. Kevin M.

    journey Guest

    FYI - I started another thread about this since it's not related to
    this thread.

    journey, Feb 9, 2007
  9. The $750 coupons were only good on a laptop whose total price was $1,500
    or more .... and to get there, you HAD to buy a very expensive long-term
    extended warranty, which is very, very high margin (there was no way, on
    the models for which the $750 coupons had been available, to get up to
    $1,500 without an extended warranty). They also, at the same time that
    they did away with significant discounts, raised their prices by
    betweeen 25% and 33%.

    Without cost information, it's impossible to say what the economics for
    Dell were, but I personally believe that the price structure revision
    that they undertook in October did a lot of damage. There are other
    issues as well: One reason I did not buy Dell was due to clear problems
    in their web site configuration pages that made it impossible to figure
    out what combinations of features would work, and even what some of the
    offerings were (at all). The configuration pages were just plain
    screwed up, for which there was no excuse.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 9, 2007
  10. I stand by my original post. Believe me, Rollins did not leave
    voluntarily. And their changes to pricing and discounts made last fall
    did cost them sales.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 9, 2007
  11. Kevin, you can find tons of online comparisons. But the performance
    difference that you will see and notice depends on what YOU are doing,
    what programs you use, even your own personal use habits (not to mention
    your internet connection). You have as much information (or at least
    the availability of as much information) as you can possibly get. Time
    to make a decision.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 9, 2007
  12. Kevin M.

    Notan Guest

    I'm not saying the changes *didn't* cost them sales, I'm just saying there
    were probably other factors. Support, or the lack of, for one.

    Notan, Feb 9, 2007
  13. Kevin M.

    Notan Guest

    Yeah, yeah, yeah.

    Fight. Paper bag. Need I say more?

    PS - How's the family?

    Notan, Feb 9, 2007
  14. Kevin M.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Been a very rough 12 mos, sir. But thanks for asking. I hope you and yours
    are fine. I know you had that punch in the gut several months ago....

    Keep fighting the good fight.........

    S.Lewis, Feb 9, 2007
  15. Kevin M.

    Tom Scales Guest

    I've actually been pretty successful with the support. The key is to be
    patient and let them follow their script. Once they do, they will come to
    the conclusion that you already knew at the beginning. If you don't let
    them follow the script then you won't get the resolution you want.

    I think that is where a lot of the complaints come from.

    Tom Scales, Feb 9, 2007
  16. Kevin M.

    S.Lewis Guest

    I recall spare parts sending me a Dell external USB multi-media keyboard as
    a replacement for the internal keyboard on an Inspiron 1100.

    That was a nice, slow and polite conversation complete with the needed part
    number. I caught the part error in my e-mail confirmation before they
    shipped it - and they STILL sent the external keyboard.

    Took about 3 more contacts to get that cleaned up, including the DHL airbill
    from Dell to ship it back to them.

    That was the only really bad experience I've had. The remainder were either
    okay or good.

    I've had nothing but excellent service from Gold Tech Support domestically.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 9, 2007
  17. Kevin M.

    Kevin M. Guest

    Thanks

    Kevin M., Feb 9, 2007
  18. Kevin M.

    Greg Guest

    Get the best processor you can. The video cards in the 6400 stink. They need
    all the help they can get.

    Greg, Apr 13, 2007