    So my basic question is how do I get a 16:9 (or 1600x1024 if that's
    possible) configuration to work with this setup?

    I installed the FW900 XP inf drivers, BTW.

    Tony, Mar 5, 2005

  2. This is a question you need to explore on the ATI site.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Tony

    Chris Catt Guest

    Hi, to get the correct resolution you will require the video card drivers
    from Sony and/or the monitor inf. ATI do not provide drivers directly for
    mobile graphics...
    ChrisC

    Chris Catt, Mar 5, 2005
  4. Tony

    J. Clarke Guest

    <http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm>

    J. Clarke, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks John. I installed it. It will certainly give me 1600x1024 (very
    nice), but when I select that resolution it does the same thing as when I
    select 1920x1080 - it fill a 4:3 sized center portion of the display with
    about 40% of my desktop. Any further help you can give would be most
    appreciated.

    Let me add that after I "activated" the 1600x1024 capability I made the
    resolution change using Display Properties. Is that not the right way to do
    it with PowerStrip installed?

    Tony, Mar 5, 2005
  6. Tony

    Todd Sauve Guest

    You are attempting to use other than 4x3 resolutions on your crt. Won't work, as you can
    see. The best you would ever be able to come up with would be letter-boxing of the screen.

    Stick with true 4x3 resolutions and you'll be ok. Even 1280x1024 is NOT a true 4x3
    setting, it is 4x5.

    Why do you want these wide-screen resolutions? Watching 16x9 DVDs?

    Todd Sauve, Mar 5, 2005
  7. Tony

    J. Clarke Guest

    Actually it's 5:4.

    Now why would he want to use 5:4 on a monitor whose aspect ratio is closer
    to 16:9?????

    Perhaps it has escaped your notice that all CRTs are not 4:3.
    Maybe displaying two pages side by side full size like Sony shows in their

    J. Clarke, Mar 5, 2005
  8. Tony

    Tony Guest

    The FW900 is a true widescreen display.

    http://displaysbysony.com/display/model.jsp?pModelId=559

    Tony, Mar 5, 2005
  9. Tony

    J. Clarke Guest

    I researched this a little more and found out that it's an ATI-specific
    problem. There's a short thread about it on Rage3d,
    <http://www.rage3d.org/board/showthread.php?t=33693264&highlight=fw-900>,
    with a couple of not very elegant solutions.

    J. Clarke, Mar 5, 2005
  10. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks again, John. It seems like one person with a UK email indicated he
    had the timings. Seems a little odd that he didn't post them for all to see.

    Tony, Mar 6, 2005
  11. Tony

    Todd Sauve Guest

    Yes, there are a handfull of 16x9 aspect CRTs. Perhaps that is what this Sony is, eh?

    If this is the case then it is my mistake :(

    Todd Sauve, Mar 6, 2005
  12. Oh look - another top posting idiot! You didn't read the OP's question at
    all, did you?! WTF did he say he was using a laptop?! The FW900 is a
    *MONITOR*! Why on earth Sony would offer drivers for a ATI graphics card
    I've absolutely no idea. You do not require the monitor file.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Mar 6, 2005
  13. Also, I have never seen a 9600 card that small.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 6, 2005
  14. Tony

    J. Clarke Guest

    Huh? Not a "card" but many laptops have Radeon 9600s.

    J. Clarke, Mar 6, 2005