    BIOS setup program. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

    Thanks,
    --wb

    wishbone, Nov 14, 2004

  2. i don't know the monitor well, but its optimal setting is 1280x1026 @ 60hz
    and i think the problem may be that you have have the analog cable connected
    to the monitor though not to the computer. it has both a dvi and a analog
    port and is shipped with a cable attached to the analog port. disconnect
    the analog cable and then check to see if this error persists when using
    just the dvi connection. also, fwiw, here are dells documents for this
    display...
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/en/controls.htm#warning
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/en/trouble.htm

    Christopher Muto, Nov 15, 2004

  3. wishbone

    wishbone Guest

    Christopher,
    Thanks for the feedback and links. The monitor is set to 1280x1024 @
    60hz. Funny you should mention having the analog cable connected to
    the monitor but not the computer. My friend had, if fact, done just
    that when he connected the digital cable. Unfortunately, removing the
    analog cable made no difference. I will ask my friend to try some of
    the "resets" and adjustments described on the troubleshooting page you
    referenced. Can you think of anything else to try?

    As an aside, and I'm sure you don't remember this, six years ago when
    I bought my first Dell computer (XPS R400), you were kind enough to
    send me a personal email with suggestions on how to fix a problem I
    was having doing compressed backups with my TR5 tape drive. That was
    back in the days when one could safely post their real name and email
    address. I appreciate your help now, as I did then.

    Thanks again,
    --wishbone

    wishbone, Nov 15, 2004
  4. wishbone

    C. Witt Guest

    I just received my system last week. I have the same problem. Let me
    know when dell comes up with a fix!

    C. Witt, Nov 18, 2004