1MB or 2MB cache?-Laptop buying advice

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by ahmedmaarouf2002, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I am looking for some advice. I had the Thinkpad T22 for a couple of
    years, and I want to buy a new laptop. I am mainly comparing between
    two models:

    1- Thinkpad R50e
    ( Intel Pentium M-705 1.5 GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 400MHz bus,
    256 RAM, 40GB, DVD/CDRW, wirless lan, up to 64 MB graphics memory, and
    2USB)

    2- HP Compaq nx6110
    ( Intel Pentium M-730 1.6 GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533 MHz bus,
    256 RAM, 40GB, DVD/CDRW, wireless lan, up to 128 MB graphics memory,
    2USB, and bluetooth)

    Both come with 1 year warranty. I intend to add 512 MB to push the RAM
    to 784 MB.

    Now, I am mainly concerned about the 1MB cache in the IBM vs the 2MB in
    the HP. Is this going to make a noticeable difference performance-wise?
    My work is mainly code development for mathematical calculations, as
    well as heavy disk I/O(for which i will connect to a 150 GB USB drive).
    Not so much graphics.

    Advice is most appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Ahmed

    ahmedmaarouf2002, Jul 31, 2005

  2. ahmedmaarouf2002

    Russell Shaw Guest

    Only if cache misses are frequent.
    If the cache size isn't needed, FSB speed will have the more effect.
    The HP has both and a faster cpu. It's just a matter of price (and
    screen size etc).

    Russell Shaw, Jul 31, 2005

  3. ahmedmaarouf2002

    Andrew Guest

    wrote:
    : Hello,

    : I am looking for some advice. I had the Thinkpad T22 for a couple of
    : years, and I want to buy a new laptop. I am mainly comparing between
    : two models:

    : 1- Thinkpad R50e
    : ( Intel Pentium M-705 1.5 GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 400MHz bus,
    : 256 RAM, 40GB, DVD/CDRW, wirless lan, up to 64 MB graphics memory, and
    : 2USB)

    : 2- HP Compaq nx6110
    : ( Intel Pentium M-730 1.6 GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533 MHz bus,
    : 256 RAM, 40GB, DVD/CDRW, wireless lan, up to 128 MB graphics memory,
    : 2USB, and bluetooth)

    The 1MB Cache Pentium M is the original "Banias" design. The 2MB
    Cache Pentium M is the newer "Dothan" design. Dothan is supposedly
    superior for power management and performance, partly but not entirely
    because of the cache size.

    : Both come with 1 year warranty. I intend to add 512 MB to push the RAM
    : to 784 MB.

    Make sure there is only one DIMM existing whichever one you buy,
    otherwise you'll have to pull one out and spend more than you think.

    : Now, I am mainly concerned about the 1MB cache in the IBM vs the 2MB in
    : the HP. Is this going to make a noticeable difference performance-wise?
    : My work is mainly code development for mathematical calculations, as
    : well as heavy disk I/O(for which i will connect to a 150 GB USB drive).
    : Not so much graphics.

    The 1.6GHZ Dothan will definitely be faster than the 1.5GHZ Banias.
    By how much? Hard to say, but it wouldn't be 2X faster or anything.
    My guess would be 5-10% faster at best. You haven't mentioned battery
    life as a concern. The 1.6GHZ Dothan might be slightly superior
    there, though much depends on the notebook design, etc.

    You might also consider that USB 2.0 hard drives are not all that
    fast if you care about speed. I've seen tests that indicate USB 2.0
    external drives will be limited to about 25MB/sec I/O. Consider a
    firewire drive, and make sure the laptop has firewire in that case.
    Or consider popping in a bigger internal hard drive.

    I would probably go for an Thinkpad over an HP any day of the week, given
    IBM's reputation for support and build quality. For the time being at
    least, I'm guessing Lenovo's build quality of the Thinkpads hasn't
    slipped yet.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Russell and Andrew,

    Thank you very much for your replies. I think I will go for the
    Thinkpad.

    Ahmed

    ahmedmaarouf2002, Aug 1, 2005
  5. Good choice !

    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Rainer_R=F6sch?=, Aug 1, 2005