2.8 ghz + GA-8I848-PL + Win2000 = not impressed

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Gary at SBC, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Gary at SBC

    Gary at SBC Guest

    Anyone else running this combo? I have to say so far I'm not impressed and
    somewhat disappointed.

    Machine is a GA-8I848-PL with boxed 2.8, ATI 9800 pro with a WD-360 SATA
    Raptor hard drive with 1 gig of Kingston DDR-400 ram. Ran down to my buddies
    store yesterday and with his fast net connection and loaded up Win 2000 PRO.

    Installed in this order-

    1) Win 2000 pro with SP3
    2) LAN & chipset driver (from Gigabyte driver disk)
    3) Downloaded ALL needed updates from MS
    4) Installed Direct x 9b
    5) Downloaded and installed newest drivers from ATI

    The machine is slower to boot by almost a minute with the Raptor drive and
    Win2000 then when I tested it with WinXP home and a 4 year old ATA-66 drive.
    I understand that this most likely a problem with the way Win2000 boots and
    not an hardware issue but something to note.

    The Raptor drive (tested with HD tach 2.70) has a burst speed of 101 mb/s,
    the old ATA-66 drive hooked to the IDE channel pops out 61 mb/s! Since the
    IBM drive is rate for 66 mb/s I consider that acceptable, I'm annoyed that
    the Raptor drive is rated at 150 mb/s and only hits 101 mb/s.

    Makes me wonder what a regular ATA-100 or 133 drive would do performance
    wise and I'm wondering if I wasted my money on the SATA drive when I could
    have had a far larger ATA drive with the same performance.

    Anyone have any insights on this? I did a brief search on the net last night
    and came up somewhat dry for a clear answer aside from "dude hook up two in
    a raid" which really isn't in the program, WD's site wasn't helpful either.

    Some programs will lock up and I have to kill them in the task manager,
    example-

    Throwing a Maximum PC disk in the DVD drive will have the M-PC interface
    launch and then freeze. Didn't do it under WinXp with SP1. (I'm trying
    Win2000 BTW because I hate the WinXp interface and the way everything is
    dumbed down) Even opening the control panel once in a great while will cause
    it to hang, something the ATI drivers would cause under XP too. FryCry demo
    had some texture issue on the rocks while tooling around, I'm going to try
    some different setting later and see if it goes away.

    Everything in the bios is set to modest settings, nothing is overclocked,
    I'm even running Microsoft's memory testing program for a few hours to make
    sure there nothing wrong with the ram.

    Am I seeing some quirks of Win2000?

    Gary

    Gary at SBC, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Gary at SBC

    Alien Zord Guest

    I'm just about to rebuild my 2 year old setup based on 8IEXP (845 chipset)
    around new 8I875 mobo. The old PC ran Win2k for about a year and WinXP Pro
    since then. Changed the CPU 3 times, ended up with 2.8/533 running at
    3.5/668. The new PC will have two 80GB Hitachi SATA drives and two PATA
    drives for video files. My reason for choosing the 8I875 is the CSA gigabit
    Ethernet and SATA controllers not sitting on the PCI bus because the present
    system suffers from PCI bus overload.
    I prefer Win2k to XP but it does take longer to boot. Unfortunately have to
    run XP for support purposes. I've made mine look like 2000 killing all the
    special effects.
    Current system is capable of sustained 49MB/s transfer rate between 2 hard
    drives. I'm curious to see what the SATA drives can achieve.

    Alien Zord, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Gary at SBC

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    How big is your boot partition, and what file format did you use ? Fat32,
    NTFS ?

    I am unimpressed with HDTach. I know it reports SCSI incorrectly, so it
    doensnt have much value to me.

    My ata133 Maxtor 8M cache drive burst to at about 85M/s according to HDTach
    (65.3/16.0/44.9) with a vax-a, 2500+ Barton.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Gary at SBC

    Tim Guest

    Gary,

    You seem to have some issues.

    I suggest you start at the top and sort each one out in turn.

    First, you seem to have hardware / driver problems. Running a memory tester
    is a good idea - I suggest the extended tests. I would also try prime95 and
    other diagnostic / problem highlighting tests including ensuring that your
    graphics card is 100% with stable drivers. Check hardware in the control
    panel for missing drivers.

    W2K should boot quickly off a raptor. A recent benchmark indicated that of
    all HDD's available at the moment, boot test for XP (yes XP does boot a lot
    faster) indicated the 74 gig raptors booted fastest. The tests included
    ultra320 SCSI drives too. The small raptor came in not too far behind its
    big brother. You could do a HD suface scan just to rule out a duff drive.

    Run sigverif.exe to feret out any non MS certified drivers.
    Check each driver related file listed by sigverif to see if there are WHQL
    certified drivers available from the manufacturers or chipset vendors.
    Check your bios version, reset it, clear cmos properly and reload defaults.
    Consider reflashing with the same bios - check the bios version with others
    since once in a while a bios is released that should never have been.

    I would consider stripping the system down to PCI vid card & Raptor only
    with the bios set for all devices not needed disabled. If that doesn't have
    the system starting as it should then there is a big problem. Do you have
    any IDE cables dangling? Any suspect PSU connections?

    Are you getting any BSOD's? If so these need sorting out. All h/w these days
    should be 100% stable.

    Lastly. If you don't like the look of XP then thats not a good excuse for
    not using it. Compared to W2K it is extremely good. If you don't like how it
    looks then change it. Once the looks have been changed there is sod all
    difference between it and W2K apart from all the new functionality which is
    really handy.

    - Tim

    Tim, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Gary at SBC

    Gary at SBC Guest

    Just one drive and letter, NTFS.
    Stopwatch agrees with it though as far as speed goes loading programs, just
    not impressed with the SATA Rator drive. After doing more research I found
    several hardware sites noted the same thing. In a RAID config it kicks butt,
    as a single drive it's not much better then other units. It is dead quiet
    though and has 5 year warrentee so it does have some saving graces.

    Gary at SBC, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Gary at SBC

    Gary at SBC Guest

    Already done for several hours.
    No missing drivers nor conflicts.
    I have a 36 gig Raptor, a single not RAID configuration.
    I will do so later today, still it has been noted on a few review & hardware
    sites that the single Raptor may not be the hot setup. Figures, I find this
    out after the fact ;-) Still as I mentioned before, noise and warrentee
    coverage make up for it.

    Win2000pro from what I'm told & read does boot slower then XP, I expected it
    to boot faster though then my P3-700 WinSE machine with ATA-33 drives. It
    smokes to the desktop in under a minute with network login after clearing
    the dos boot menu.
    Will do so, the only drivers that did not install from the win2000pro disk
    were the LAN drivers (direct from Intel) and ATI drivers (latest NON-BETA
    9800pro drivers)
    Will look into it.
    No and no- Everything is tight and well routed with no excess or loose
    cables.
    Nope, just the odd program lockup which then needs to be killed in task
    manager. The problems with FryCry are gone by changing some of the graphics
    options in the control panel, dropping down the AA level seems to have fixed
    that oddly enough.
    I agree, hence my careful selection of name brand parts and not quite
    "cutting edge" pieces.
    It's not just the look but also the fact MS hides everything it can from the
    end user, I'm used to digging into the OS a bit more direct. MS has really
    "dumbed down" XP in my opinion making it difficult sometimes to do things.

    Gary

    Gary at SBC, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Gary at SBC

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    a boot partition that large is a nasty thing to do to windwos...

    -NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Gary at SBC

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    Change the theme, and change the default viev on a couple things (like
    control panel ) and it will look and feel just like 2000 (but better). I
    used to make the same arguments when i was afraid of XP and I was
    comfortable with 2K.

    Adapt.. overcome..

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Gary at SBC

    McGrandpa Guest

    Why is that? Ah, that depends on which version of Windows then. XP Pro
    SP1 doesn't have any issues yet with a FAT32 160 gig drive as one
    partition. Perhaps the drive controller? The right drivers installed
    on first boot to desktop for mobo/chipset and onboard controller gave me
    no problems at all.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Jun 6, 2004
  10. Gary at SBC

    Gary at SBC Guest

    "NuTCrAcKeR"
    Explain please how a drive that size (37 gig) is a problem with Win2000Pro
    and NTSF?

    Win 95/98 perhaps.

    Gary at SBC, Jun 6, 2004
  11. Gary at SBC

    Tim Guest

    Gary,

    Is your raptor drive running as an IDE drive? IE in bios you can set the
    SATA controllers to impersonate an IDE interface. This negates any need for
    drivers as they appear as plain IDE. If this is the case, you may want to
    look at reconfiguring the drive as SATA, or if the controller provides for
    it as a RAID ready SATA configuration - this applies to Intel ICH5R
    controllers and no doubt others too.

    Tell tail signs would be your disc drive hanging off IDE in device manager,
    and no SATA or SCSI devices.

    Check your bios manual and drivers.

    - Tim

    Tim, Jun 6, 2004
  12. Gary at SBC

    McGrandpa Guest

    No actually I didn't have problems with even a 60g hd and 98SE.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Jun 6, 2004
  13. Gary at SBC

    Gary at SBC Guest

    It's more then that- In Win98SE you can setup anything you want the way you
    want- In XP it's all about MS Wizards directing you to do what they want. XP
    Pro might be different, have not had a chance to look into it.

    Gary at SBC, Jun 6, 2004
  14. Gary at SBC

    Gary at SBC Guest

    The Gigabyte board did so automatic, it remaped the drives.
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

    I was rather surprised that no drivers were required for boot up.
    I did, endlessly and looked at Gigabytes website too. Almost no info at all.

    Gary at SBC, Jun 6, 2004
  15. Gary at SBC

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    All the desktop OS's i use are the pro versions, since workstation 3.51. I
    havent done the consumer desktop stuff since 3.11 for workgroups.

    -NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jun 7, 2004
  16. Gary at SBC

    Gary at SBC Guest

    I remapped the SATA drive so it was configured as an SATA and not a remapped
    IDE, no change at all.

    Spent a few hours using it and it ran well, all the bugs seem to be
    settling. HD speed is still a disappointment though.

    The DDR-400 ram gets hot! 120F under full load! I'm going to get some
    heatsinks on those puppies.

    Gary at SBC, Jun 9, 2004
  17. Gary at SBC

    Gary at SBC Guest