    P4-3.40E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
    or should I think about building a new system

    , Feb 12, 2006

  2. RBM Guest

    If you do go for the higher CPU, you first have to be sure your bios is
    upgraded recognize it

    RBM, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Mark C. Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > I have a P4C800 Deluxe
    > Would it be worth while moving up from a
    > P4-2.80C GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, D1) to a
    > P4-3.40E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
    > or should I think about building a new system

    The 2.80C is a great overclocker. Assuming you have decent
    memory, have you tried bumping up your FSB past 200?
    You should be able to get to 3.4GHz without any problem.

    Mark C., Feb 12, 2006
  4. BigJim Guest

    You probably won't see much of an improvement.

    BigJim, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Bill Guest

    BigJim wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I have a P4C800 Deluxe
    >> Would it be worth while moving up from a
    >> P4-2.80C GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, D1) to a
    >> P4-3.40E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
    >> or should I think about building a new system

    >You probably won't see much of an improvement.

    That depends on the intended use.

    For things like surfing the net, reading email, using Word, and even
    gaming with a decent video card, it won't make much difference.

    But if the user wants to run something that crunches data, like maybe a
    Boinc project (SETI or protein folding?), then the faster CPU will make
    a big difference with a very noticeable improvement in performance.

    Another person mentioned overclocking the 2.8c which is also an option.
    Adding a bigger CPU cooler to handle the heat will help keep the CPU
    cool, and get a higher overclock. A good cooler like the Thermaltake Big
    Typhoon or the Zalman 9500 will help to keep an overclocked CPU cool.

    I have the Zalman 9500 on my AMD x2 3800+ overclocking it 25% faster,
    and it runs cooler than the stock heatsink at stock speeds.

    Bill, Feb 12, 2006
  6. BigJim Guest

    good advice Bill but I am no mind reader so when people post more info
    should be given/
    but for general use he will see no improvement.

    BigJim, Feb 12, 2006