2 CPU XP system with combo USB2/1394 controller?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Kovie, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Kovie

    Kovie Guest

    I've got a dual CPU system (Abit VP6, 2xPIII) running XP Pro & I'd like to
    add both USB 2.0 & Firewire 1394 to it. I have only 1 free PCI slot at
    present so I'm considering one of the dual USB2/1394 cards, such as
    Adaptec's DuoConnect. I have several questions regarding this:

    1 - I've heard that the Adaptec DC card won't work on XP with a dual CPU
    setup using their USB2 drivers, but that it might work with Microsoft's USB2
    drivers. Has anyone been able to get this to work on a dual CPU XP system?
    What about any of the other USB2/1394 cards?

    2 - Will installing this or any other USB2 card automatically disable the
    onboard USB1.1 for most motherboards, or can they generally be used
    simultaneously?

    3 - I have a StarTech 3-1/2" front panel 4xUSB/2x1394 hub. It was designed
    for USB 1.1. Does this mean that it won't work with a USB 2.0 card, or only
    work at 1.1 speeds?

    4 - Any other things to consider or watch out for with such a setup?

    Kovie, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Kovie

    Walt Guest

    2 - I have never heard of the MB USB 1.1 ports being automatically disabled
    when one installs a USB card in a PCI slot. I use my simultaneously.

    3 - If your StarTech front panel truly is a USB 1.1 _hub_, then it will run
    with the USB adapter, but only at 1.1 speeds. For the DuoConnect, this
    can mean that the two back plate USB connectors will be USB 2.0, but the
    one internal USB connector routing through your front panel, will be limited
    to just USB 1.1. If it were me, I would keep the front panel USB 1.1 hub
    connected up to the motherboard USB 1.1 ports and not "waste" the third,
    internal,
    USB 2.0 connector on the DuoConnect.

    Walt, Sep 3, 2003