    I know these batteries tend to wear out quickly, so if it's only going
    to add 20 minutes or power, I'll probably skip it).

    Thanks.

    Martin Barron, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Martin Barron

    Quaoar Guest

    The difference? 25 watts. heh. The 90W might come in handy if you do
    have two dead batteries charging while running the computer flat out
    with no power saving involved. I have a 2.6Ghz P4 15 inch screen Vaio
    laptop. It has a 19.5V 5 amp adapter, i.e., 97.5 watts. The adapter is
    barely warm to the touch under the heaviest load. My laptop has a 4
    amp-hour battery that provides about 1.25 hours operation with no power
    savings, which is representative of the normal power draw from the
    adapter. That's equivalent to 3.2 amps load at 20 volts or 64 watts.
    Adding a three-hour charge to the 4 amp-hour battery is another average
    1.33 amps at 20 volts or 26 watts. Total (interestingly) 90 watts, just
    below the 97.5 watt rating of the adapter.

    Taking the same 4 amp-hour battery in a MPM providing perhaps 3 hours of
    operating time is an average 1.33 amps at 20 volts, 26 watts for the
    normal operating power, plus the charge on a battery over three hours,
    26 watts or 52 watts total for the adapter. Add another battery
    concurrently charging adds another 26 watts or 78 watts total.

    So if you are going to charge two batteries concurrently while operating
    the computer under normal conditions, the larger capacity adapter is
    possibly necessary. Otherwise, the smaller adapter will work OK. You
    can substitute your own estimates of how long your I8600 will operate on
    battery to update the estimate I've made above.

    Quaoar, Apr 27, 2004