2 soundcards, one Live! Drive II on Linux

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by Rohan Beckles, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Hello --

    I have a SoundBlaster Live! Platinum with Live! Drive II in my system, which
    works perfectly well with the latest ALSA 0.9.5 drivers. A friend of mine
    recently upgraded his Windows 2000 system hardware, which left him with a
    spare SoundBlaster Live! card (which is perfectly functional).

    I put this card in my system as a stand alone second sound card (/dev/dsp1),
    and it worked fine. Then I had an idea - why not connect the card to the
    secondary expansion connector on the Live! Drive II? The first sound card connects
    to connector JP1 on the Live! Drive II, so the second card connects to JP2
    (I was lucky enough to have a spare ribbon cable lying around, and NO it's
    NOT an IDE cable ;-) ).

    Now, however, /dev/dsp1 seems to be inaccessible. I have adjusted the
    volumes on the secondary card using "alsamixer -c 1" to be identical to
    sound card 1, but when card 2 is selected in (for example) XMMS, the audio
    file is playing, but there is no sound from either the Live! Drive II or
    the output on the back of the card.

    My modules.conf is thus:

    # ALSA portion
    alias char-major-116 snd
    options snd major=116 cards_limit=2
    alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
    alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10k1
    options snd-emu10k1 extin="0x3fcf" extout="0x1fcf"

    # OSS/Free portion
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

    alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
    alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

    The output of /var/log/messages is:

    Jul 26 21:26:43 odessa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-6

    I apologise for the long post. Can anyone help?

    Best regards,

    Rohan Beckles

    --
    ABIT VP6
    Pentium III "Coppermine" @ 1GHz (2 off)

    Rohan Beckles, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Hello --

    I've just realised that the secondary connector on the Live! Drive II is
    actually intended for the Digital I/O card. However, the connector is
    identical to the expansion connector on the SoundBlaster Live! card itself,
    and the expansion cable fits perfectly. Surely this second connector can be
    made to work with a second Live! card?

    I'm grateful for any help. Best regards,

    Rohan Beckles

    Rohan Beckles, Jul 26, 2003