    IS7 / IS7-E / IS7-G: 1.8
    IS7-M: 1.3
    IS7-V: 1.3

    Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    TomG Guest

    thanks, Alex! We'll have to look and see if release notes are posted
    anywhere...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    456 Guest

    456, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    Rick Guest

    Alex, I know this is a longshot, but is there any possibility
    Abit could update the bios for their BX boards (esp. BE/BF)
    with 48-bit LBA addressing? There are an incredible number
    of these boards still in the field and people are trying to install
    hard drives >120GB in them.

    Please, if you have any influence with the Powers That Be at
    Abit, consider it.

    Thanks,
    Rick

    Rick, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    TomG Guest

    Rick,

    if the board has a Highpoint 370 or better controller, then the update can
    be and might have already been done. if the board just has the BX chipset
    based controller on it, then that controller cannot be updated due to
    hardware limitations, I believe.

    in any event, if you want 48 bit LBA support for a board with Highpoint 370,
    then visit my site at the address below and see if you don't see a bios with
    Highpoint 2.3x bios embedded in it. if you don't find what you are looking
    for, let me know and I'll create it!

    TomG, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    Rick Guest

    Tom, for boards without the Highpoint (e.g. BF6), you're
    saying the BX chipset itself doesn't support 48-bit LBA
    addressing? Or is it some other hardware limitation on
    the motherboard?

    Thanks,
    Rick

    Rick, Feb 27, 2004
  7. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    TomG Guest

    I believe that the BX chipset does not support it but I don't want to be
    talking out of school here...

    TomG, Feb 27, 2004
  8. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    Alex Chang Guest

  9. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    TomG Guest

    thanks again, Alex...

    TomG, Feb 28, 2004
  10. A word or warning from someone who has learned the hard way.

    If you have a RAID 1 (Mirror) dont upgrade. I lost the mirror, no supprise
    there, so I went in and recreated the array, as I have to ablut once every 2
    weeks. I did nothing different, however this time it never asked which was
    the source and destination disks. It completly erased both.

    Partition Magic could see the deleted MBR and the 1st partition but could
    not recover it. Be warned.

    Paul Landregan, Feb 29, 2004
  11. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    TomG Guest

    really a bad situation when you loose data on the arrays. however, one
    reason I *would* recommend updating to this bios is exactly what you said in
    your post... you have to recreate the array about once every two weeks.

    hopefully (in my little naive world...) the newer Intel Raid bios will
    correct that issue. I try to never update a raid bios without having a
    current backup in the event of last data just as you experienced. this
    update is the first time the Intel bios has been updated in a few mainboard
    revisions so that loss of data risk was definitely there...

    TomG, Mar 1, 2004
  12. But I feel better now I have had a windge. All is well again now. Maybe I
    will have another go next weekend.

    Paul Landregan, Mar 1, 2004
  13. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    TomG Guest

    good luck with it...

    TomG, Mar 1, 2004
  14. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    Felix Miata Guest

    I don't know about previous AI7 BIOS versions, but this one is broken
    for mixed IDE SCSI users. With any of my several LSI HBAs installed and
    no SCSI HD attached, the only way to boot anything is from floppy. All
    combinations of BIOS settings I came up with result in "DISK BOOT
    FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS RETURN" unless either a bootable
    floppy is inserted, or a SCSI HD is attached. With a SCSI HD attached,
    it will boot from from IDE if that is the way the BIOS is set.

    This behavior is identical to the 18 Nov BIOS for the Gigabyte
    GA-8IPE1000 Pro, which was solved by the 25 Dec BIOS for that board.
    This Gigabyte board also has the 865PE chipset and Award BIOS.
    --
    "Surely God would not have created such a being as man to exist only
    a day! No, no, man was made for immortality."

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

    Felix Miata, Mar 2, 2004
  15. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    TomG Guest

    so if the SCSI bios is disabled on that SCSI controller, you could not boot
    without a SCSI drive on the controller?

    TomG, Mar 2, 2004
  16. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    John Lewis Guest

    You did clear CMOS in the correct way (by removing all power before
    moving the jumper ) didn't you ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Mar 2, 2004
  17. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    Felix Miata Guest

    e.g. with the SCSI BIOS disabled I could boot with a SCSI HD on the
    controller? Of course not. To boot a SCSI HD always requires a SCSI
    BIOS.

    Felix Miata, Mar 3, 2004
  18. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    Felix Miata Guest

    Actually I forgot step 8 entirely. In the AM I'll give that a shot, but
    I'm not hopeful.

    Felix Miata, Mar 3, 2004
  19. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    TomG Guest

    no, actually, the other way around. with the SCSI bios disabled, and no
    hard drive on the SCSI controller, per your original post, could you then
    boot?

    TomG, Mar 3, 2004
  20. Alex Chang / °¥§Þ½u¤WªA°È¤p²Õ

    Felix Miata Guest

    As I expected, clearing CMOS had no impact on this problem. :-(

    And the above paragraph was the reason for my expectation.

    Felix Miata, Mar 3, 2004