    Colin Fox Guest

    When is it and will be streaming at the Apple site?

    Thanks, Colin

    Colin Fox, Jan 12, 2005

  2. It has been since last night; found it right on the front page:

    http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

    Garner Miller, Jan 12, 2005

  3. Colin Fox

    Davoud Guest

    Colin Fox:
    *****

    It _was_ at 9 AM PST on Tuesday, 11 January. Apple did not stream it
    live, either on the web or, via satellite, in its stores.

    According to MacNN "live webcast video streams of events such as Jobs'
    keynote presentations, on average, are costly and yield few benefits to
    Apple as a company." No benefit in having every Apple Store in the
    world crammed with hundreds of salivating Loyalists, credit cards in in
    their sweaty little hands?

    And this from a company whose personal computers are still losing
    market share, in spite of the success of the iPod. Shows what I know
    about doing business.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Jan 12, 2005
  4. Colin Fox

    Jim Guest

    Ah, but think about it like this: they're Loyalists. Chances are they're
    there to see what's *about to be released*.

    They won't spend much in the store because the store won't have the new
    goodies yet (generally).

    Jim

    Jim, Jan 12, 2005
  5. I bet if they could have arranged a demo model or two, and taken
    pre-orders, they would have done pretty well. Since everything
    announced this time is either available immediately or by Jan 22, it
    shouldn't be too hard.

    Of course, evidence suggests they're doing pretty well anyway, what with
    the apparent load on their online store, so maybe it wouldn't make much
    of a difference.

    I always thought one of the benefits of the live webcast was to
    periodically demonstrate just how well-suited Quicktime is to something
    like that. That kind of self-promotion, only tangentially related to
    the content of the broadcast, would seem to be worth at least some of
    the cost of presenting it.

    Tom Harrington, Jan 12, 2005
  6. Colin Fox

    Henry Flam Guest

    I am getting an audio only version. Why am I not getting a video of the
    keynote presentation?

    Henry Flam, Jan 12, 2005
  7. What is your Internet connection? Check in the QuickTime settings. If
    you tell it you've got a 56k modem or slower it'll only give you an
    audio stream.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 12, 2005
  8. Colin Fox

    Henry Flam Guest

    It is set on 56k modem. That's odd. I've assumed that I am connected to
    my ISP to broadband via ADSL modem, DLink DSL 300G. How can i find out
    what is my internet connection so I can enter the correct setting in the
    QT settings?

    Henry Flam, Jan 13, 2005
  9. QuickTime makes no attempt to measure your connection speed (which is a
    bad thing). Instead you have to tell it what it is. You can measure your
    actual speed using one of many test pages

    e.g. http://speedtest.dslreports.com

    Then just pick the closest one in the QuickTime speed settings. If you
    set it too low the QuickTime streaming server will send you a lower
    quality video stream, or even audio only as you found. If you set it too
    high you'll end up with the sound and picture dropping out.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 13, 2005
  10. Colin Fox

    Henry Flam Guest

    Though the site you referred to me didn't work I found one which did
    give the results of a speed test. Now to enter the right figure in the
    QT setting. The test gives me 1254 down/511 up. So which should I enter
    in the nearest connection speed configuration in QT, the up or down
    figure? Sorry about this, I am a complete newbie in all this.

    Henry Flam, Jan 13, 2005
  11. 'salright :)

    Down is the receive speed. A lot of systems use a split speed like this,
    with more of the capacity assigned to the down link, since most of the
    time you're downloading data.

    The "1 Mbps Cable" option would be the closest. In reality it doesn't
    matter too much for most things. For example the keynote speech only has
    three versions: audio only for 56 kbit/s and under, low quality video
    for 100 kbit/s and over, and high quality video for 300 kbit/s and over.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 13, 2005
  12. Colin Fox

    Henry Flam Guest

    Terrific. My God, I can see! Thanks alot, Roger.

    Henry Flam, Jan 14, 2005