    tried a few. Without some understanding of what should
    go on in the sense line it is hard for me to proceed.
    Thanks

    Leo Tick, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Leo Tick

    Job60 Guest

    Most fans have an RPM lead reports fan speed to MOBO how ever I think you need
    a spechial fan for the 2013
    NoJOB@aol.

    Job60, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Leo Tick

    Leo Tick Guest

    I dont think so. It used to work an earlier CPU maybe hotter. 2013 is
    same as 503+ in this area. Is there somware this process is described ie
    what is in
    the sense lead?

    Leo Tick, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Leo Tick

    Leo Tick Guest

    Do i infer that the purpose if the sence line is to tell the MOBO
    that the fan is turning and the 2013 is supposesd to have
    12 v on the at all time ie not varied?

    Leo Tick, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Leo Tick

    Robert Akins Guest

    The sense terminal is to tell the motherboard what RPM the fan is turning at
    the present time. In the case of the 503+ and the PA-2013, the monitor chip
    was left off the motherboard, and in order to get monitoring capabilities
    you had (have) to buy a special heatsink/fan combo called an EISCA fan.
    Read either the VA-503+ or PA-2013 manuals. It connects to the 10(?) pin
    header near the CPU socket, and the other 3 pin fan headers tie into it
    through the motherboard to monitor their speeds. It was an optional item
    which could be purchased separately, but is now almost impossible to find.
    Unless you run across a used/surplus one.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Aug 22, 2003
  6. Leo Tick

    Den Guest

    I have had a long outstanding but minor problem with the PA-2013 in that the
    CPU fan makes a terrible noise on boot, but quietens down by the time it
    completes the memory check.
    Though less so in warmer weather or room tempatures.

    Looking in manual I see the reference to onboard sensor LM75
    is this the chip you are refering to ? I am wondering whether I
    should have connected the fan direct from the power supply
    connectors rather than the motherboard.(CPU FAN1)

    Den

    Den, Aug 22, 2003
  7. Leo Tick

    Robert Akins Guest

    That is correct Leo. The fan connectors will run a case fan or CPU fan but
    don't report the fan speed to anything. If the fan connector has stopped
    working, it wouldn't be the first time by any means.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Aug 23, 2003
  8. Leo Tick

    dirtyangus Guest

    This would have nothing to do with the fan making noise.
    Most likely it is just wearing out. Fans don't last a long time,
    especially cheap ones (which sometimes only last a year or so).
    Many will be noisy when first started up and quiet down on it's
    been going for awhile.
    Some have a tiny hole under the label that will allow you to
    lubricate it. Use a thin weight spindle oil or teflon lubricant
    (not WD40 - this will dry up too quickly).

    dirtyangus, Oct 3, 2003