    understand dpi and the differences there but not this.

    Thanks,

    Tom.

    Thomas Scheiderich, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Thomas Scheiderich

    Dave D Guest

    DPI and colour depth where scanners are concerned are largely nonsense. I
    seriously doubt the human eye can discern the difference between 24 and 32
    bit colour, let alone 48 bit. As for dpi, many figures are manipulated to
    make the product more attractive. The dpi is often interpolated rather than
    true, and the scanner is capable of much lower actual resolutions than it
    claims.

    The way to choose a scanner IMO is to pick one which gets the best reviews
    for its picture quality. Don't be sucked in by manufacturers claims, they
    could claim a million dpi and 128 bit colour but that would be no reflection
    on the actual picture quality. Let your own eyes be the judge, or if you
    can't see sample scans, trust respected reviewers.

    Dave

    Dave D, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Thomas Scheiderich

    brane_ded Guest

    Tom...24-bit color uses nearly 17 million colors. Since we can only
    differentiate about 1 million colors...save your money and memory.

    HTH
    b_d

    brane_ded, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Thomas Scheiderich

    Ben Myers Guest

    Marek,

    Tho not exactly wishful thinking, replacing a IIcx with a 6100c is a bit of a
    crapshoot in software. After all, you are dealing with two companies which have
    a reputation for flaky and unreliable software: Microsoft and HP. HP scanner
    software can be a major struggle to get up and running.

    In other words, if you try replacing a IIcx with a 6100c, be ecstatic if it
    works, and don't be surprised if it does not... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Thomas Scheiderich

    Dave D Guest

    If you are worried about losing all your custom scan settings, these are
    kept in a file in your deskscan folder called (IIRC) deskscan.ini.

    You may be able to save this and overwrite the new one when you reinstall
    your deskscan drivers, though it may contain configs which don't work with
    the 6100C. At least back up the new ini file so you can put it back if it
    goes wrong.

    I own the 6100C, (with the deskscan 2.9 software) and it's a great scanner,
    if rather large! However, it's getting rather old now, unless this one
    you're after is very cheap indeed I'd look for something newer.

    Dave

    Dave D, Jul 22, 2003