    that it's not the proper driver. Please help me out on this one, no
    visible FCC number on board and only a backward RU symbol.

    Thanks alot and have fun.

    Captain Blood, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Captain Blood

    S.Lewis Guest

    Shouldn't need any drivers for the mb when installing XP. Any drivers
    needed should be on the CDs shipped with the system or on the Dell website.

    The NIC is a broadcom, fwiw.

    What problems does device manager show w/regard to missing drivers?

    S.Lewis, Jun 6, 2004

  3. XP certainly has, for want of a better word, "problems" when it comes to
    detecting anything onboard.

    I've just purchased an 8300 with onboard NIC and sound and XP yellow
    question-marked them both. Plug a soundcard or NIC card in, and XP
    recognises them instantly.

    But you're right, the Dell CD's that ship with the system will have drivers
    on.

    The Social Outcast, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Thanks for the advice. I know the drivers are on the CD, however I am
    origional Del CD (He forgot it). I wanted to be done this weekend. I
    needed drivers for onboard periph.

    The drivers I downloaded from Del support's USA server were all
    corrupted but I went to the Japan server and the files worked fine.

    But I still would like to know the answer to my origional question,
    who made the motherboard in this Del Dim 2400 ?????

    Captain Blood, Jun 6, 2004
  5. MiTAC makes the 2400 and 4600 systems for Dell - they manufacture the system
    boards.

    Edward J. Neth, Jun 6, 2004
  6. I did finally get the needed drivers and I did need motherboard
    chipset drivers, XP Pro didn't cover all of them, there was one left
    with ? by it. I went to broadcom's website before I posted here and
    downloaded the proper driver for the modem but when I tried to update
    the driver XP Pro claimed it was still the wrong driver even though I
    know it was right.

    The drivers on Del's USA server were all corupted but I went back and
    got them from the Japan server and they worked.

    But no one has answered my origional question which was Who makes the
    motherboard in the Del Dim2400.

    Thanks

    Captain Blood, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Captain Blood

    Ben Myers Guest

    Really? The markings on the board, both silk-screened and stickered, look a lot
    like Intel's. So does the board layout. Intel AA numbers are also present on
    the 2400s I've ripped apart, er, serviced. Of course, Intel no longer has its
    own board fab, so Mitac could be one of the CEMs along with maybe Foxconn?

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Captain Blood

    Fixer Guest

    you need to install the intel chip set drivers 1st though

    Fixer, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Yep.

    The 2400 and 4600 are assembled for Dell by MiTAC in China. And Intel does,
    indeed, not make boards any more - they are contract-manufactured by
    Southeast Asian makers like MiTAC, Hon Hai (Foxconn), etc.

    Edward J. Neth, Jun 7, 2004
  10. Captain Blood

    Don Taylor Guest

    Something odd I noticed a week or two ago, Microsoft Windows update
    web pages have popped up a "critical update" for XP for the Broadcom
    modem. Seems odd that a modem driver could be a critical update.
    Even odder, the update is dated middle of last year but hasn't shown
    up in any of the last 5-6 months of XP updates.

    Anyone else noticed this?

    And I remain amazed that the 2400 purchased for a specific job, and
    which I never really want to have to touch again, still works fine!
    I'm happy, even if I do have to click on Update every couple of weeks.

    Don Taylor, Jun 7, 2004
  11. Captain Blood

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Mitac and Foxconn.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 7, 2004
  12. Yes, which is another puzzler in itself.

    http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/CS-009270.htm

    says the 875 chipset (which my Dim 8300 uses) running XP needs the drivers
    manually installed but the 850 chipset (which my Dim 8200 used) doesn't
    because XP deals with it automatically.

    And I thought the 875 chipset was one step further along the technology path
    from the 850?

    It seems like a step backwards though?

    The Social Outcast, Jun 7, 2004
  13. Captain Blood

    Ben Myers Guest

    It's not whether the 875 (and 865 and 848) is more advanced than the 850. The
    issue is one of timing. The 875 chipset was not available when XP shipped
    several years ago, so the 875 drivers will not show up on the XP CD because they
    did not exist at the time when the CD was created. And, no, Microsoft does not
    slipstream new driver sets onto the updates for its operating systems. I would
    be amazed (and you should be amazed, too!) if somehow the 875 chipset drivers
    showed up in the XP Service Pack 2 update. Even if they did, one would still
    likely need to install the basic XP, then apply SP2... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 7, 2004
  14. Captain Blood

    WSZsr Guest

    Or you can create your own updated XP install CD by slipstreaming SP2 with
    the original XP CD.

    WSZsr, Jun 7, 2004
  15. Captain Blood

    Ben Myers Guest

    True. But I'm willing to bet that the XP installed updated with SP2 would have
    the 875 drivers on it. Even for a large hardware manufacturer like Intel,
    Micro$oft has been unwilling in the past to roll drivers for new chipsets in a
    service pack.

    So the answer, whether the mythical SP2 is available or not, is to download the
    875 drivers from the Intel web site for any brand of motherboard with the 875 on
    it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 7, 2004
  16. Thanks!

    Captain Blood, Jun 9, 2004