    non-Dell monitor, Amazon often has good user reviews too.

    Best wishes finding a good monitor.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 5, 2006

  2. John Smith

    User N Guest

    There are several different approaches and if the correct numbers are used
    and the math is tight, the results should be equivalent to a fair number of
    significant digits. If you are calculating based on horizontal, vertical, or
    diagonal dimensions those have to be fairly precise. When in doubt and
    when the subject is a FP, I use pixel pitch x native horizontal res for width
    and pixel pitch x native vertical res for height. In any case, Pud Knocker
    pointed out a simplier approach which can be used when comparing two
    FP's at native (thanks for the tip PK).

    I think the decrease in size on the 2405 would be noticeable, but I have
    no idea of whether you would find it tolerable. I just tweaked a 19" CRT
    to run at 1280x960 with the display area set to 13.61"x 10.21" so as to
    simulate the 2405 FP's PPI. Even if it were LCD crisp, I couldn't handle
    it for long stretches. You might, and the only way you'll know is if you
    try it for awhile.

    User N, Mar 7, 2006

  3. John Smith

    admin Guest

    Hello & Welcome,

    Feel free to view our Free Guide to Flat Panel LCD TV's and LCD Flat
    Panel PC / TV Monitors or view
    our direct from the manufacturer 06' models.

    Our online address is
    www.pmbbay.com or http://www.pmbbay.com

    If we can be of assistance, feel free to email us anytime.

    Good Luck!
    PMBBAY

    admin, Mar 7, 2006
  4. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    I purchased the 2405FPW after considering all of these excellent responses.
    I will see how it goes.

    Thanks.

    John Smith, Mar 12, 2006
  5. John Smith

    Rayan Guest

    Hi, this is a great thread! I am also thinking of getting the 240
    since price has come down below $800. However I am concerned abou
    the small text size issue.. getting old here! I have read abou
    adjusting the text siz
    not by reducing the resoultion , but changing the font dpi in th
    Settings>Advanced. See couple of very good links below. Has anyon
    tried that on Dell 2405 and can you share your results
    Really appreciate

    http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr/archive/2004/03/23/94391.asp

    http://www.wordstar.org/computing/pages/monitor_cal.ht

    Rayan, Mar 18, 2006
  6. John Smith

    Bob Levine Guest

    I don't like any of the adjustments. If find even at the small size,
    it's so crisp that it's easy to read.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Mar 18, 2006
  7. John Smith

    journey Guest

    I second what Bob said. The monitor is very crisp, and I have had no
    need to adjust the text size.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 18, 2006
  8. John Smith

    hrdtd Guest

    Ditto here.

    A yaer or two ago I upgraded to a LCD, and I stayed at 19" with a native
    resolution of 120x1024 rather than go to a 20" or bigger because the native
    resolution for those models jumped to 1600x1200 or so and it made the text
    too small.

    A few months ago I decided to upgrade the monitor again, and this time I
    ended up decideing on the 2405FPW with it's native resolution of 1920x1200.
    The larger physical size helps to compensate for the higher resolution for
    me. I was a bit concerned how the text would look, but it's just fine.

    Nice and crisp as the others have said.

    No adjustments needed

    No problems reading it at all with these 54 year old eyes...

    hrdtd, Mar 18, 2006
  9. John Smith

    User N Guest

    What have you used and found comfortable?
    Be aware that that isn't a font specific dpi setting, it is a general dpi setting
    which will affect other things as well. Normally one runs the panel at its
    native resolution when they are using the tweaked dpi approach. In which
    case, for purposes of this discussion, it doesn't matter which FP you choose
    as long as we are talking about panels of the same size and resolution. The
    latter is important because different sizes/resolutions have different pixel
    densities and thus you'd have to tweak the Windows dpi setting differently
    in order to produce objects of the same size.

    I don't know that these numbers are spot on, but to give you some idea of
    what I'm talking about, check out the first chart here:

    http://www.prismo.ch/comparisons/desktop.php

    The larger the PPI figure, the smaller the size of things if all other things are
    equal.

    If you do decide to tweak the dpi setting, be aware that you may run into
    various scaling issues. Instead of trying to explain them, I'll simply suggest
    that you play around with the dpi setting on your current setup and pay
    close attention to the text sizes in different apps, the quality of various icons,
    how webpages look in IE, etc. The more you google the more you'll learn
    about dpi tweaking issues.

    User N, Mar 18, 2006
  10. John Smith

    Rayan Guest

    I know you are all telling me you can read text fine and I hope s
    too. However just like many others who have expressed concerns afte
    buying one, I wanted to know what are my options in case I hav
    trouble. So my questions remains, is there anyone out there with 240
    who has tried, keeping native resolution, an

    1- adjusting to higher dpi like 120, or
    2- keep dpi at 96 (ideal for 2405, 1200 divided by 12.7 inch pane
    hight= 94) and up the text size using advance options in th
    Appearance tab

    How does text in an IE application and a standard Word/Excel documen
    look like

    I am hoping some one will generously run a test n tell me
    Unfortunately there is no store in LA I can go and run these check
    on a Dell

    Rayan, Mar 18, 2006
  11. John Smith

    Rayan Guest

    [hrdtd wrote, "A few months ago I decided to upgrade the monito
    again, and this time I
    ended up decideing on the 2405FPW with it's native resolution o
    1920x1200.
    The larger physical size helps to compensate for the higher resolutio
    for
    me. I was a bit concerned how the text would look, but it's jus
    fine."

    Actually, the text size on a 1920x 1200 and 1600x1200 would be almos
    the same, because the panel hights are almost same(12.7 inch vs 12.6
    and both have same vertical resolution. Right

    Rayan, Mar 18, 2006
  12. John Smith

    hrdtd Guest

    In my case, I was comparing text at...

    on my 19" 1901 Ultrasharp at 1280x1024

    to text at

    On the 2405FPW at 1920x1200

    The 2405FPW has the higher resolution, but the increased dimensions of the
    2405FPW over the 1901PF Ultrasharp helps keep the text size almost the same.

    hrdtd, Mar 18, 2006
  13. John Smith

    Bob Levine Guest

    Like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. I think all the
    adjustments suck. Yes, the text is larger, but it's also no where near
    as crisp.

    For Excel and Word, just work in a higher zoom. Firefox allows you to
    increase the text size on most web pages.

    Look, you have a few weeks to try it out. If you don't like it, send it
    back.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Mar 19, 2006
  14. John Smith

    Rayan Guest

    Thanks fellas. I had a friend try out the dpi setting on his Sony 2
    inch, he says text look quite fine.

    I ordered my 2405 from Costco last night. I will let you know m
    experiences in 2-3 weeks

    Now the waiting begins........

    Rayan, Mar 19, 2006
  15. John Smith

    Jay B Guest

    can i ask how much you paid from costco?
    i always saw costco prices as much higher than i could get from dell
    directly with some discounts or coupons so i dont usually follow costco
    pricing.

    Jay B, Mar 19, 2006
  16. John Smith

    Tom Scales Guest

    Just curious. Why order from Costco rather than Dell? Same price.

    Tom Scales, Mar 19, 2006
  17. John Smith

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Just curious. Why order from Costco rather than Dell? Same price.

    I ak\lso noticed both had it for $799.99, but Dell had a 5% coupon and
    a $60 off $500 coupon, so it could have been had for 739.99 or 759.99
    at Dell. Coupons have expired, but there always will be more ...

    Best Regards, Bob Johnson

    Directories

    Bob Johnson, Mar 19, 2006
  18. John Smith

    Rayan Guest

    Well, the best price right I could find from Dell was $799, same a
    Costco. They do have 5% coupon on Small Bus and a $20 on Dell Home
    but when I tried to apply either one, it would revert the price o
    monitor to $999 and then give discount from there! Besides lik
    Costco's return policy. For future, if you know better how to appl
    the coupons, can u share
    Thn

    Rayan, Mar 20, 2006
  19. John Smith

    Rayan Guest

    Great news! I cannot believe my 2405 already is here and I am up an
    running! I placed the order on Saturday night, Costco confirmed th
    order on Monday morning, Monday evenng they said they had it shippe
    and Tuesday afternoon it was at the door step! Don't know if Del
    delivers like this if ordered directly

    I have not done anything other than fire the thing up and I am no
    floating in the air! I did not even install the CD that came with it
    should I? I will wait and read up a little about it before starting t
    make adjustments.

    Anyone can tell me a good thread or article on how to mak
    adjustments to brightness, contrast, color temp etc on this monitor

    Rayan, Mar 22, 2006
  20. John Smith

    journey Guest

    I didn't have to make any adjustments.