240x won't hibernate in Linux after X has been started

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by mattrahtz, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. mattrahtz

    mattrahtz Guest

    I've been experimenting with hibernating with my 240x. Currently I've
    got a 250MB partition of type a0 (thinkpad hibernate partition) set up
    with lphdisk to be a hibernate partition.

    It works before I have started X - the Phoenix BIOS screen pops up and
    the progress bar progresses etc, the machine turns off, I turn it back
    on, the Phoenix BIOS screen pops up again and it resumes.

    But after I have started X - or started X and then stopped it - it
    doesn't work. It suspends alright, but when I turn it on again, it says
    the disk has been changed, press F3 to continue.

    I have seen no mention of this elsewhere from users of Linux on the
    240x.

    I'm guessing it has something to do with X changing the video RAM, then
    when it boots again, the video RAM is changed by the thinkpad graphic
    at boot. It must be something video-related, X changing something then
    that being changed on startup.

    The hibernate process also seems to power off rather abruptly. After
    the contents of RAM have been saved to disk, the screen goes off, then
    power is just cut to the HD. It isn't left to spin down, it just goes
    off, as if the battery had just completely run out of power and the
    machine has just died. I imagine this can't be much good for the HD.

    Does anyone have any ideas on the subject?

    mattrahtz, Sep 21, 2006

  2. mattrahtz

    Phil Sherman Guest

    You'll probably get better responses from a Linux forum than here.

    I'm not familiar with Linux on the 240x series but check my comments
    below. My T40 stopped suspending/hibernating properly when Red Hat
    switched the kernel from APM to APCI. The video in the T40 needs a
    special patch to suspend properly which will not be available until the
    next major release of RHEL (it's available now in Fedora which I can't
    use on the laptop for other reasons).

    Phil Sherman

    Try switching to a non-gui window before suspending. If you logon using
    the GUI logon, you need to stop X using the "init" command from a
    terminal window to switch to runlevel 3 (multi-user, non-gui mode). The
    "init" command must be run using root authorization.
    Laptop drive shut down very quickly. Power off does not slowly remove
    power to the drive to allow a spin down cycle either. The duration of
    spin down is a function of the angular momentum of the spinning disk and
    the frictional losses in the bearings. Small laptop drives (vs desktop
    drives) have very low mass to minimize power requirements which makes
    them slow down quickly. When power is removed, they need to spin long
    enough to allow the heads to retract, an interval measured is milliseconds.

    Phil Sherman, Sep 22, 2006