2460 help - 2460 dead?

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Jhask, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Jhask

    Jhask Guest

    i have a 2460, i have already RMA'd one back in spring 2002 - i dont know if
    i got back a 'new' one or the same one fixed.
    anyway, long story short,
    i have had lots of problems on and off - blue screens, freezes, etc. A lot
    of it seemed to focus on the Memory.
    I recently was only able to run just One 256mb ECC 266 dimm (Micron brand,
    apparently not approved i know) module in my 2460. So I got a hold of the
    Memory vendor that originally sold my Ram (to the vendor i bought the memory
    from) ---- because ultimately i thought it was that my memory wasnt approved
    and was at the root of my problem. By the way, I am typing this on a
    Pentium 100 computer so please feel sorry for me.

    Anyway, just the other day I received 4 new MA Labs TYAN-approved 256mb
    memory modules. I was excited to be getting my 1 Gig of approved memory and
    all would be well.
    Well, I put it all in. I powered up and immediately got 4 beeps. it froze.
    i reset it and it did struggle thru part of the boot-up and only showed like
    404 mb of system memory or whatever and i knew it wasnt good and i think it
    froze again. i reset the computer a handful of times and it still wasnt
    starting right. I powered it down. Then i tried to power it on again and
    it was DEAD! just a flicker of lite on the front cover and NOTHIN'. And
    I did smell a tiny burning smell. BUT IT IS DEAD. This had never
    happend.

    What could have happened? I put in these four MA LABS approved Dimms and
    thought i was good to go - did i shock the system or something? I talked to
    Tyan tech support yesterday and he said initially this issue is either with
    the PS or the Mobo.

    Here is most of what i got:

    Tiger S2460 mobo
    dual MP 1.2's
    550 Watt Antec PS
    Matrox 550 graphics card
    3 hard drives (2 IBM 75 gig, 1 40 gig West Dig)
    CDRW Yamaha
    CRRom
    FDD
    ADS firewire card
    nic card (not sure if it is connected)
    dial-up modem
    etc
    WHAT HAVE I DONE? THANKS for any help - I AM ready to break this 2460 in
    half.

    Jhask, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Jhask

    Tosser Guest

    Unplug from the wall. Remove the power connector from the PSU to the
    Motherboard. Examine motherboard connector. Any sign of burning/melting?

    Tosser, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Jhask

    Jdh Guest

    This is me - the guy with the original post with an update.

    I took out all 4 Dimms and my computer powered up fine.
    I put 1 Dimm back in the computer and NOW THE COMPUTER IS RUNNING AGAIN. I
    have full video, etc.
    I do not understand what happened but I am still concerned.

    My best guess is that because I HAD 4 Double-sided Memory modules in
    there --- it could not 'handle' it and shut down????

    What is the deal with TYAN - why on earth would they put these MA LABS 256
    mb dimms on the APPROVED list BUT not tell you that you can only put 3 of
    them MAXIMUM in your computer????

    Is this not true??? If these are double-sided memory modules, am i not
    limited to just 3?? AND if i did smell some kind of burning smell, is it
    still possible that there is some damage some where that i need to address?
    Please offer your input . Thanks,
    jdh

    Jdh, Aug 29, 2003