    problems using GeForce FX cards with the 2462.

    Thanks,
    Ben

    BT, Dec 25, 2003

  2. BT

    Blaedmon Guest

    check your irq conflicts, gf cards like to hog ;)

    =---

    Blaedmon, Dec 27, 2003

  3. BT

    Ray Setzer Guest

    As an O/T inquiry on this thread. Wanting to use something like a 3d GeForce
    card implies that the user wants to use this as a gaming machine. So, honest
    question. Is this M/B really a good choice for this kind of setup? The
    Registered Ram is a little slower than the non-reg, so I don't know if that
    a consideration or not, plus, if your gaming, your probably going to have
    some 19 channel sound setup too. Plus, it would seem that dual processors
    are a bit wasted on games as they won't be able to take advantage of them.

    I have this exact board and use the machine primarily for video editing, so
    I've tried to soak everything that gets discussed about it. And one thing
    I've seen that crops up over and over problem wise is cards that want big
    graphics and big sound. It seems that users, myself included, report that
    either this unit is very stable, or, as skittish as a 2 year old
    thoroughbread. Myself, I'm fortuanate to be in the former group, but this is
    likely because I've kept my unit to 2d graphics. (Albeit a Matrox dual
    monitor card, but still, stable to the point where you never think about
    it.), and vanilla Cmedia sound. Couple MP2400's and a Gig of ram from the
    Tyan approved list and I simply cannot recall the last time my machine
    crashed. From the comments I read on this list, my experience is comperable
    to many other people who haunt this list and have setups somewhat similar to
    mine.

    =---

    Ray Setzer, Dec 31, 2003
  4. BT

    Blaedmon Guest

    put your fears aside - the 2462 is rock solid in heavy 3d gaming. I have the
    2462ng model coupled with a single 2.0ghz (formerly 2 1.2mp's), 512ddr, Sb
    platinum, and a Geforce4 4600 - great for gaming. The only thing, in my
    experience, which would cause this board to spit, is cheap ram. Its a server
    system afterall, it wants and needs quality.

    Blaedmon, Jan 1, 2004
  5. I have
    Tyan S2462.
    Geforce TI4400
    Pinnacle DC1000
    Audigy
    Microsoft USB keyboard, Logitech Wireless Mouse and Wacom pad.

    running Win XP

    and see the BSOD quite frequently.
    It complains about IRQ not less or Equal or somthing like that.
    Still I see no IRQ conflicts.

    After installing the latest graphics drivers I see both the BSOD and
    sometimes the mouse/keyboards
    seems to freeze.

    I used approved memory (Corsair if I remember correctly).

    Maybe something is in Microsoft Knowledge base

    Ulf Samuelsson, Jan 5, 2004
  6. BT

    Blaedmon Guest

    The keyword for your post is 'Audigy'. From past reading, Ive seen this card
    be quite a little nuisance with miscellaneous systems. Apart from that, you
    dont necessarily have to SEE irq conflicts for them to exist. GF cards
    sharing irq's with soundcards is not good idea generally. Most m$ os's force
    it, but you can alter this through pc system drivers. Theres reading out
    there which explains this and how to do it.

    Blaedmon, Jan 5, 2004
  7. BT

    BT Guest

    The thing is the Audigy IRQ is no where near the IRQ for my GF card. The IRQ
    never changed from what it was with the privous GF 3 card, which I never had
    this problem with. Other then going back a few versions on the drives, the
    only other thing that seemed to help was getting rid of my paging file and
    recreating it like I found in an artical on eventid.net.

    On a few occations I have had events show up in the system section of event
    viewer that show that the card has entered an infantine loop. At which state
    my video enters power save mode and my monitor shuts off. However the system
    in the background is working fine, as I am able to shutdown the system with
    out any problems.

    BT, Jan 6, 2004
  8. OK I'll try.
    One wonders when the interrupt system in the PC is going to be replaced by
    something useful.
    Even small 8 bit micros support > 16 interrupts nowadays.

    Ulf Samuelsson, Jan 7, 2004
  9. PC's allready do.
    If the system mentions 'MPS', then it has the extended interrupt controller
    originally designed for multi-processor boxes. With these, the 'normal'
    interrupts remain visible during boot (with their sharing), but the logic is
    reprogrammed once you are inside a proper OS, to access more than 16
    interrupts. The actual features, depend on the hardware, and the HAL (under
    Windows), but typically thirty or more interrupts are available.
    This has existed on server boxes for at least five years.
    On the machine I am using here, I have 23 interrupts in use.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Jan 7, 2004