2462 Constant Bluescreens at start-up - BIOS/driver update help

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Greg, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Hey guys,

    I've got a 2462 that in the past couple months or so has consistently blue
    screened at start up. There is no entry in the event logs, and the error
    code is too generic to trace. "irq_not_less_or_equal" 0x0000000. I believe
    it is network related since as the machine starts up the OS loads and just
    as it gets to initialize the nic it blue screens.

    I've not done anything with this machine since I built it originally, except
    for adding stuff, and lots of it. I thin now would be a good time to rebuild
    this guy and start fresh with new OS install, updated drivers.

    The problem is, when I go to the Tyan web site to get the latest drivers,
    the instructions are so vague that I am unsure which ones I need. Or the
    procedures for updating them

    Although Tyan points me to a particular place for say the LAN updated
    driver, I find that this is the incorrect driver and the correct driver is
    located somewhere completely different.

    If anyone has been successful in updating all the drivers, can you please
    point me in the right direction to find exactly which ones I need.

    Case in point: The specs say that I have the 3C920 LAN controllers, however
    when looking at the device manager it says I have the 3C980C-TXM, when I go
    to the LAN update for the 2462 it points me to a directory with dozens of
    files, yet the readme does not have detailed instructions for installing or
    which driver to install. In addition it lists issues for most OS's except
    XP. Anyone have specific info on this?

    The only thing I have ever done to this board is to update the BIOS which is
    currently 2.14 I think. Any other updates you could recommend would be
    welcomed!

    Thanks.

    Greg, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Greg

    Blaedmon Guest

    i have the 2462ng and had similar problems - found the remedy elsewhere -
    what kind of RAM did you use in this machine? The 2462 is EXTREMELY picky
    about the quality of ram it uses. Check Tyans recommended ram sheets - as a
    general rule use Corsair. Its failsafe.
    As for board drivers, forget the lan drivers and everything else except for
    bridge drivers, etc, because theyre simply generic - not board specific, so
    let your Os install what it recommends there for the time being. You can
    always google exact drivers later, but for now you wanna get a stable
    system.
    Free up as many irq's in bios as you can and if youre using an AGP card,
    then disable 'vga uses irq' - and MAKE SURE your soundcard isnt sharing your
    gfx cards irq. If it is, move the s/card to the bottom most pci and see what
    happens. If it still shares, theres ways around this, but try it anyway.
    Tell us how you go.

    Blaedmon, Oct 8, 2003

  3. I've got a 2462 that in the past couple months or so has consistently
    blue
    I had these problems on my UNGM a couple of times per day, until I installed
    the latest Nvidia Detonator.
    This would not occur dring boot though, it would occur after some time
    (couple of hours).
    Havent seen the problem since then.

    It may be heat related as well.

    Ulf Samuelsson, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Greg

    Flipper Guest

    i think you may have conflict sharing issue.

    use the drivers that came on the tyan's cd for the nic.

    is it the 2462UNG with 2 nic integrated?

    Dom

    Flipper, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Greg

    Greg Guest

    My board is the 2462UNG and It does have 2 integrated NIC's.

    My machine only bluescreens when I log in under my profile. As admin or any
    other user everything is fine. I have had no issues that could not be
    resolved until this. Memory is fine, drives are fine, I just think it is
    some other driver or setting that loads when "I" log in. I seem to remember
    that when I loaded AOL on the machine is when this all started. And it is
    most likely network related, either NIC or drivers, but it does seem to
    occur only as the LAN initializes. Everything else loads just fine, but when
    the LAN status icon in the sys tray pops up, it is about a second or two
    after that I bluescreen.

    Another interesting thing, it only bluescreens ONCE per power up. When I log
    on for the first time at power up, THAT first logon will bluescreen -
    always. When the machine comes up again, everything is fine.

    And I was a bit off with the error message, it is actually:
    driver_irq_not_less_or_equal. I omitted driver in my first posting.

    Since my suspicion is the AOL network drivers, you can be sure I already
    uninstalled any AOL on the machine (except for any hidden components).

    My c:\ drive is a 18.2 gig drive, I've got 10 other drives in 2 raid 5's
    with an Adaptec scsi raid card. I really want to upgrade my system drive.
    Another reason to rebuild this beast.

    Thoughts?

    Greg, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Greg

    Flipper Guest

    I have problem on mine if I use the 2 NIC, because one has a very bad
    IRQ sharing scheme.

    Im pretty sure you are experiencing the same.

    for the fun of it force your NICs in 10mbits(properties/advanced..) mode
    and it should stabilize your system.

    also try using the other one, if you are not using both.

    Dom

    Flipper, Oct 11, 2003