25 GHz machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clifford535, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. Clifford535

    Clifford535 Guest

    I have some computationally intense work to do, and I would like to
    know where I could buy a computer that would run at the equivalent of,
    say, 25 GHz. It would have to be already built since I don't have the
    skills to build one from scratch. I would want to run an app that is
    designed for a standard Win XP platform.

    Since the fastest processors available now only run at about 3.2 GHz,
    I suppose this would involve a multi-processor machine. But the
    multiprocessor machines I see from Dell, for example, do not offer
    processing power that is the SUM of all the processors to be applied
    to a single task. They seem to simply be able to do multiple tasks
    faster than a single processor machine.

    I would want the total power of all processors harnessed to work on a
    single task.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    saxon

    Clifford535, Nov 8, 2003

  2. You'll need a, "CRAY RESEARCH", machine...millions of dollars.
    Perhaps you can find one operating in your area and buy time on it. If
    at first you don't succeed, they say, give it up!

    Michael P Gabriel, Nov 8, 2003

  3. You'll need a, "CRAY RESEARCH", machine...millions of dollars.
    You could use the 64bit XP with a 10 machine beowoulf network though
    I'm not to sure that you could run that all from one monitor. What
    crazy computations could you need, That 25ghz machine could find pi in
    seconds (To millions of digits) or is this just a thread of curisitoy.
    Seeing as you don't know how to build a machine you would need to hire
    ppl to build you the system and I'd like to see the benchmarks if you
    have the hundreds of dollars. Oh BTW you would need like 100/1000
    close linked ethernet for this to work proplery and those reuters cost
    alot

    Keep your stick on the Ice
    Anthony Brohan

    Anthony Brohan, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Clifford535

    DaveW Guest

    Contact either IBM's or HP's Business Division. You are talking about a
    serious, non-consumer, EXPENSIVE machine. You are looking at paying for an
    8+ CPU machine.

    DaveW, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Clifford535

    DaveW Guest

    Also, Windows XP Pro will only handle up to 2 CPU machines. Your looking at
    using Windows 2003 Advanced Server software.

    DaveW, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Clifford535

    ECM Guest

    Indeed.... If you're serious, rent some time from a local
    supercomputer.... It'll cost thousands of dollars per hour, but it'll
    be as fast as you're talking about, and definitely the least hassle.

    If you're just curious, then you want to know more about "cluster
    computing" - search for it on Google for some info. Linux has a
    cluster computer distribution that could be used for a
    university-level project, if that's what you have in mind - you can
    cluster hundreds or even thousands of individual computers - that's
    what they used to break PGP encryption a while back. It's fascinating
    that you could take a bunch of old 486's and turn them in to a monster
    computer. If you'd want to use commercial software, though, think
    again - you'd have to program your own software for this kind of
    computer; it needs to be specifically programmed for this type of
    multiprocessing.

    Check out this recent news story - they took a bunch of Mac G5's and
    made the 3rd fastest computer ever - all for only $7 million, too - I
    think I'll have to build me one....
    http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=1&aid=D7UMIL1G0_story

    You're welcome! :))
    ECM