    here and I need your help.

    TIA
    - Dave Kistner

    Davek, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Davek

    Sparky Guest

    Hiya,

    I got my 2800 Barton a few months ago and find it to be pretty much capable
    of running any of my current software at a decent rate (in conjuntion with
    1Gb of unbranded 3200 Ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro) so have found no need to
    clock it yet but I would imagine that if the 2500 is quite clockable, then
    surely the 2800 is likewise?

    One issue i have is with cooling - I am finding that (at this very moment)
    with an ambient temp of 20 degrees C, my mainboard shows (using ASUS Probe)
    25 degrees C and CPU is 47 C at idle - this is using a Coolermaster Aero 7+
    (at mid-level as I find it too noisy at full blast although it does drop it
    by around 2-3 degrees) with some AS3 between it and the CPU - using the
    latest BIOS image for my A7V8X. Reasonably comfortable (it shows around 51
    deg C when playing games and I don't using [email protected] or [email protected]) but not sure it
    would allow for much clocking without a significantly better cooling system
    (perhaps watercooling).

    Sparky, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Davek

    Ed Guest

    I got my Barton 2800+ in May, it's a AQUCA stepping, week 7, best I can
    get it to run stable is 2388MHz @ 1.8V with an Aeroflow hs/fan w/Artic
    silver 3, probably could do 2400 with more vcore, cooler room and better
    case cooling. ;p

    @ 3200+ (200x11 /1.675v) with a room temp of around 24-25C the die temp
    peeks around 60C under full loads. This is on an Asus A7N8X v2 non dlx
    in a Antec 1040BII full tower.

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 21, 2003
  4. go for the 2500 barton as it's the same chip as the 2800. With a decent
    board and memory you should easily be able to get 11x200.
    Mines a 0323 chip and overclocks a treat on a nf7s rev 2.
    Doing 2.2gig at 41c idle.

    Chris

    Chris Willetts, Aug 22, 2003
  5. I have the 2500+ and it runs great at 3200+ 2.2GHz @1.725v. Max stable is
    2366MHz @ 1.775 so far. I'm using the heatsink and fan that came with the
    CPU so I'm sure more is possible with a better cooler.

    http://tinyurl.com/kvff

    Good idea. At around $144US you can get the Corsair TwinX512-3200C2 pair.
    It's a matched pair of 256MB sticks. You want two boards so you can take
    advantage of the double data rate capability of the chipset. I have two
    Crucial PC3200 boards; $108US for two 256MB at www.crucial.com The Corsair
    boards offer better timing than the Crucial but they're more expensive.

    The PC3200 Crucial can run at 470MHz with stock timing even though it's
    selling at 400MHz. That's a 235MHz FSB out of a PC3200 stick; not bad. Even
    with relaxed timing, the Corsair won't go that high.

    Too_Much_Coffee ®

    I'm a newbie

    Too_Much_Coffee ®, Aug 23, 2003
  6. Davek

    S.Heenan Guest

    I've always used the average of any overclocking database to be on the safe
    side. The low side seems to show the results of either really bad steppings
    or those with little skill and luck. The highest numbers are often the
    result of exotic cooling and are hardly typical.

    S.Heenan, Aug 23, 2003
  7. Davek

    Alan Guest

    Chris:
    What memory and board are you using? Are you running at default voltage on
    the CPU, the chipset?

    Alan

    Alan, Aug 23, 2003
  8. Just using generic memory that my local store had in at the time.

    Chris

    Chris Willetts, Aug 24, 2003
  9. Davek

    Alan Guest

    Chris:
    Talk about lucky memory. I am using expensive OCZ3500 EL and I can't hit
    your numbers. I originally purchased stock memory but my Asus board
    wouldn't run with it. (although it was approved Samsung chips)

    What about your other settings?

    Alan

    Alan, Aug 24, 2003