    256MB PCI Express x16 nVidia GeForce 6800 [add $135.00 ]

    Thanks!

    George

    George Earl, Aug 7, 2005

  2. George Earl

    Tom Scales Guest

    Either would be fine. The 128MB X300 would be just as good for you. Photos
    will never use much of the video memory -- heck a 16MB card would be fine.

    I have an older 9800Pro 128MB and spend considerable time editing large
    photos (my camera outputs 12mp). Plenty of power.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 7, 2005

  3. George Earl

    George Earl Guest

    Thanks, Tom.

    George

    George Earl, Aug 7, 2005
  4. Also agree with Tom. Unless you are gaming, there is NO need to add the
    6800. You will be perfectly happy with the X600 or the X300.

    Patrick L. Parks, Aug 7, 2005
  5. George Earl

    User N Guest

    Given that the OP's needs sound modest and the 9100 could be outfitted
    with a newer graphics card if/when necessary, there is something to be
    said for purchasing the system with a low-end card. However, it might be
    worthwhile to touch on two related issues.

    Firstly, the low-end cards offered in the 9100:

    128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
    256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory

    are HyperMemory boards and thus they are NOT equipped with that amount
    of memory. I think the X300 is equipped with 32MB and the X600 is equipped
    with 128MB. They augment that by consuming *system* memory. Exactly
    how much of a performance hit (graphics and otherwise) that approach involves,
    I don't know.

    Secondly, although it is still a ways off, Windows Vista is coming. Some of
    those who are purchasing a computer today will want to run it on that system,
    and I'm sure some of those will want to run the most visually appealing user
    interface. IIRC, the last thing I read said 64MB minimum graphics memory
    for Aero Glass, 128MB recommended. Possibly even 256MB if running at
    very high resolutions. Whatever the case, it seems as though the uber fancy
    Aero interface will require some hefty [3D] graphics hardware. I can only
    wonder how well it would run on those HyperMemory boards, if that is of
    concern to anyone.
    Yeah, plenty more than an X600 SE much less an X300 SE with <cough>
    HyperMemory.

    User N, Aug 8, 2005
  6. George Earl

    ricardo Guest

    That's good information to know about the graphics cards Hypermemory
    uses system memory and only has 32Meg or so on the actual card itself.
    I didn't know this, so thanks User N.
    ricardo

    ricardo, Aug 8, 2005