    HD TV as my lone external monitor rather than a 24-inch or 27-inch
    computer monitor? Even my 24-inch is 1920 x 1200.

    Thanks a bunch for your suggestions and comments.

    Lao Ming, Mar 18, 2011

  2. Lao Ming

    Warren Oates Guest

    You can't afford _both_, I guess?

    HD tv is 16:9, computer monitors are (traditionally) 16:10, hence the
    difference in pixel sizes. On your computer, 16:9 stuff (like HD tv
    shows) gets "letterboxed," while as a computer monitor, you won't see
    any difference on a 16:9 tv -- your display card can be set up for it.

    42 inches is a pretty big tv. Where are you going to sit when you're
    using it as a computer monitor? You'll need a wireless keyboard and
    mouse to use it comfortably in your living room.

    Nonetheless, Bigger is Betterâ„¢.

    I was just setting up my ol' Sawtooth to give to the grandkids, and OS X
    looked pretty good on our 37" tv.

    Warren Oates, Mar 18, 2011

  3. Lao Ming

    Lao Ming Guest

    Thanks, Warren. You guessed right -- I really can't afford both a TV
    and a computer monitor. Your question about where I'm going to sit is
    important. Since I've never owned an LCD or Plasma TV or connected a
    computer to one, I'm not sure how this would affect me sitting at a
    desk. Presumably, the pixels are too large for me to get a very good
    picture if the TV is on the desk and I'm sitting at the desk, is this
    true?

    Lao Ming, Mar 19, 2011
  4. Lao Ming

    dorayme Guest

    <
    m>,
    Wittgenstein used to like going to the movies and sitting on the
    front row. Me, I am long-sighted and sit right at the back -
    which has the distinct advantage of not having dubious
    characters, ex-diplomats, texans with guns etc to the back of me.

    dorayme, Mar 19, 2011
  5. Lao Ming

    Warren Oates Guest

    Not really, it's just that it would be BIG and sitting on your desk. On
    my 37" I could happily look at it pretty close, but the idea was to be
    able to see it from the couch.

    I don't know where you plan to buy the tv, but you might go to Best Buy
    or somewhere large like that and ask them to hook a computer up to a 42"
    tv for you, to see what it looks like.

    Warren Oates, Mar 19, 2011
  6. Lao Ming

    Warren Oates Guest

    There's a story about Jack Warner, used to sit by himself in the very
    back row of a huge theatre to screen the dailies (rushes, if you want)
    and the "throw" was so long that the editors had to put the sound out of
    sync by a frame or two for ol' Jack.

    What they said about Moses: He looked good in the rushes.

    Warren Oates, Mar 19, 2011
  7. Lao Ming

    Suze Guest

    Neck strain cam become a big ouch if you're having to look up at part of
    your screen on a chronic basis. I'm 5'9" tall and I've got my 22" wide
    down to about 1.5 inches from my desktop and I personally wouldn't go
    higher than 24" based on how high my 22" sits, unless I outright sat it
    onto the desk with no rise at all.

    Suze, Mar 19, 2011
  8. Lao Ming

    Robert Haar Guest

    That's part of it but it is not so much the actual pixel size in the display
    as the perceived pixel size compared to the angular resolution of the human
    visual system.

    The other factors are more ergonomics. If you have a huge display close to
    you, you have to move your gaze further to scan the entire screen. And you
    may run into difficulties get a comfortable position. The usual
    recommendation is that line from your eye to the center of the monitor be
    slightly below horizontal.

    Robert Haar, Mar 19, 2011