    What can I expect to OC to? I've got kingston 2x256 3200 DDR
    valueram. Any suggestions on settings? THe chip is definitely
    unlocked, so i'm pretty free to play.

    BiPolar, Feb 19, 2004

  2. u could hit at least 2300-2400 MHz on air...u will just need good cooling
    and a lot of vcore increase....ull prob also need faster ram to go past 200
    fsb...get a good cooler thats powerful....i have a vantec aeroflow which
    will not meet the standard for a 2400 mhz overclock but did well for
    xp2500=>3200

    Robert Jackson Marley, Feb 20, 2004

  3. BiPolar

    Chip Guest

    It really depends on the individual chip; its week number, stepping and the
    chip itself.

    I had a 2100+ AIUHB 0303 that would do 2300 at 1.65v :) I couldn't get
    the thing to go over 2450MHz at any voltage though.

    Chip.

    Chip, Feb 20, 2004
  4. BiPolar

    BiPolar Guest

    Will the thermaltake silentboost work well enough for me?
    How do i check week number and stepping without opening up my case?
    If I don't have to unmount my heatsink, I'd rather not.

    BiPolar, Feb 20, 2004
  5. BiPolar

    Chip Guest

    The more I learn about pc-building and overclocking, the more I realize that
    the secret to low CPU temps is airflow. Airflow through the case, and
    airflow through the heatsink. Many modern heatsinks offer fairly similar
    performance these days - within 2 or 3C of one another. The difference is
    what sort of fan you put on them.

    The Thermaltake silentboost is not a bad heatsink - its all copper and
    perhaps comparable to a low-end Thermalright design - but it has a very low
    output fan. Whilst this is kind on the ears, it means you are never going
    to get wonderfully low temps with it, but its still alright if your case
    temps are kept low.

    Providing your case cooling is OK, you can probably get your CPU up to
    around 1.85v with it, without your temps getting ridiculously high. With
    luck, that might get you to around 2400MHz at 1.85v, which would be pretty
    good. With that heatsink, at that speed and that voltage, I'd expect your
    CPU temps to be 55C or maybe even high 50's. But that's still "OK", despite
    what others may say.
    Use your Superman X-Ray vision ;-) Seriously, I wouldn't bother. The most
    important thing governing how far your chip will overclock is *your chip*.
    The week number and stepping gives you a clue, but you never really know
    until to test your own chip.

    Chip

    Chip, Feb 20, 2004
  6. BiPolar

    BiPolar Guest

    Thanks for the advice. WHat's annoying is that even at standard
    stock speeds, my CPU is at 51.5. WHich seems a little high, but I
    hear that the AMD chips run hot.

    What should I try setting my bios at (11 x190)?

    BiPolar, Feb 20, 2004
  7. BiPolar

    Chip Guest

    Is that with the Thermaltake Silent Boost? If so, you need to take a look
    at your case cooling and make sure the HS is seated properly with a thin
    layer of themal compound. Just as a reference point for you, when I owned
    an Abit nf7-s and Silent Boost, my CPU ran at around 33C idle and mid 40's
    load, if I didn't overclock it too much. 51.5c suggests to me that your
    case airflow isn't brilliant.

    BTW, what bios version are you using? The temperature readings vary *a lot*
    from one bios to another.
    Since a 2700 is a 13x166 = 2173? chip (if I remember correctly), I would try
    11 x 200 at perhaps 1.7v to start with. Its up to you really.

    Chip

    Chip, Feb 21, 2004
  8. BiPolar

    BiPolar Guest

    THat is with stock cooling, which may be the problem. THe case has 3
    intake fans, but isn't the best case ever. System temp is 32, cpu is
    51.

    I think i'm only at version 17, so i Can flash an update to the
    latest.

    BiPolar, Feb 21, 2004