2800 Barton on Shuttle AN35N Mobo

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by pc macdonald, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. pc macdonald

    pc macdonald Guest

    Geez. Things used to be pretty simple.

    I've got a 2800 Barton 333 on a Shuttle AN35N Mobo. With a single
    stick of Kingston PC3200 CL3 RAM.

    To say the least, I'm a bit confused about the BIOS setup.

    I seem to get lots of red lights on the MOBO indicating a processor
    overheat! With settings that don't seem out of line. There's an
    adequate sink and fan installed. The "overheat" light comes on in an
    instant before the BIOS has a chance to post to the monitor.

    My goal is optimal, normal setup for a kid that is going to be a long
    way away with the computer. I want it to run to normal specs... not
    over or under clocked.

    Should the FSB be 166 or 333?

    How do I setup the memory?

    What the what?

    I'd appreciate y'alls inputs.

    tanks.

    pc

    pc macdonald, Aug 10, 2004

  2. pc macdonald

    rstlne Guest

    Geez. Things used to be pretty simple.

    the FSB should be 166
    the AXP will double that and use 333..

    rstlne, Aug 10, 2004

  3. pc macdonald

    ranchhand Guest

    Why do you think you are overheating? If your processor o/heats, it
    will shut down the whole unit. You don't say that is happening. I am
    not acquainted with any red lights on the AN35N board; there is only
    one green board light that indicates power is present on the board
    itself. What red lights are you referring to? What "overheat" light
    are you seeing? Is your computer shutting down?
    Just in case you DO have an o/heat problem and to save time, check
    that your heatsink is mounted properly on the CPU and the thermal
    grease is applied correctly. Overheating that early in bootup usually
    indicates improper heatsink mounting.

    Please post some additional information as to what exactly is
    happening.

    ranchhand, Aug 12, 2004
  4. pc macdonald

    pc macdonald Guest

    Indeed, I did note that the processor was overheating and that the
    system shuts down. The board is an AN35N [which I described
    previously as an AN35], and it does have a red light to indicate
    overtemp shutdown.

    Turns out the problem was an insufficient heat sink. Got a
    thermaltake copper job and all is well.

    Thanks to everybody.

    pc macdonald, Aug 15, 2004
  5. pc macdonald

    ranchhand Guest

    Interesting. They must have recently added the overheat lamp to the
    board, because I have built several unit using that board and have no
    red lights. Also, I wonder what good a lamp is on the board? Once the
    case is together you can't see it anyway. Glad you got it worked out.

    ranchhand, Aug 16, 2004
  6. pc macdonald

    Frank v7.0 Guest

    LOL! It's green until there's a problem. All AN35N Ultras have them up
    top over the first and second memory slots. It's good for trouble
    shooting a new build. After you've got everthing set-up you set the
    overheat protection in the bios. I love the board! I've built three,
    stable as a rock!

    Frank v7.0, Aug 16, 2004
  7. pc macdonald

    Paul Bettes Guest

    I accidently put my heatsink on backwards when I built mine, so I
    know what he's talking about. lol

    Paul Bettes, Aug 18, 2004