    Has anyone made any observations regarding the relative
    power consumptions of the 280R and V240?

    Andrew

    Andrew, Sep 5, 2003

  2. V240 less power than 280R.

    According to the data sheet the V240 uses 400W max
    and 280R 560W max.

    In real life I think its fair to assume that the V240 will consume
    about half of what the 280R will.

    /wfr
    Fredrik

    Fredrik Lundholm, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Andrew

    Chris Morgan Guest

    I haven't been able to switch my v240 on due to it still have broken
    NICs, so I'd say it uses no power and offers no utility.
    --
    Chris Morgan
    "Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in

    - anonymous correspondent

    Chris Morgan, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Andrew

    Rich Teer Guest

    That's not fair. I'm sure it would make a fine paperweight. :)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Sep 5, 2003
  5. Andrew

    Chris Morgan Guest

    It's certainly heavy, but it's kind of bulky and inconvenient to have
    on ones desk.

    If I'd bought a Dell I'd have had it long enough for them to not be
    able to support it any more by now!

    Chris

    Chris Morgan, Sep 5, 2003
  6. Andrew

    Scott Howard Guest

    Nothing to stop you using it - just be aware that you might get a few
    more network errors than you would otherwise. That said, only about
    0.3% of all systems have the problem, so the chances of hitting it at
    all are very low.

    Alternatively, if you've got a spare PCI ethernet card just throw that
    in and you won't have any problems. Or just call Sun and ask them to come
    and fix it for you.

    Scott

    Scott Howard, Sep 6, 2003
  7. A Sun FE came out this week and swapped the mainboards on our v210s. If Sun had
    not announced the flaw, we probably wouldn't have noticed; the bge* interfaces
    were working great.

    Jason Fortezzo
    usenet at mechanicalism dot net

    Jason Fortezzo, Sep 6, 2003
  8. Andrew

    Jeff Wieland Guest

    My V240's are working great -- they arrived last Thursday.

    Jeff Wieland, Sep 8, 2003
  9. Andrew

    Chris Morgan Guest

    The description of the fault is it may "silently corrupt incoming
    packets". This means (I thought) no network error would be detected,
    instead bad data would (potentially) be passed to the
    applications. Unacceptable for a server of mine.
    I don't have much interest in commissioning a server temporarily that
    I know has to have its motherboard replaced. As the machine was
    intended to take over some duties from a somewhat overloaded
    workstation, I have an alternative until the machine is "good and
    ready".

    Chris

    Chris Morgan, Sep 8, 2003
  10. Andrew

    Chris Morgan Guest

    That's nice. I wish my firm was important enough to Sun to get my
    machine fixed by now. I guess the fleet of E15ks wasn't enough...

    Chris Morgan, Sep 8, 2003
  11. Andrew

    Jeff Wieland Guest

    These are three machines that we ordered in May. We never received any
    of the V240's with the network problem. Purdue does buy quite a bit of
    stuff from Sun. I don't think that we buy as much as we did in the
    "old days".

    Jeff Wieland, Sep 8, 2003
  12. Andrew

    Chris Morgan Guest

    I ordered my v240 in April! We've got more Sun kit than you can shake
    a stick at!!

    Chris Morgan, Sep 8, 2003
  13. Andrew

    C. Newport Guest

    It seems that the replacement boards are hitting the USA before they
    get enough in the UK. For some reason Europe always seems to get
    things about a monthe later than the USA.

    BTW, were you in Geneva before you joined your present job ?.
    Maybe the is more than one Chris Morgan playing with Sun boxen.

    C. Newport, Sep 8, 2003
  14. Andrew

    Chris Morgan Guest

    I'm on Park Avenue, Noo Yawk Citay!
    No, two jobs ago i worked in the defence industry in the UK, which is
    closer, but still never been to Geneva. I don't know who this other
    Chris Morgan is, never come across a namesake on the newsgroups I
    read.

    Cheers

    Chrus

    Chris Morgan, Sep 9, 2003
  15. Andrew

    C. Newport Guest

    He was last seen 2 years ago at Reuters Geneva where he was
    herding a flock of Vaxen and looking forward to the arrival of some
    6800s and 12Ks. He is probably still there. I installed a pair of
    loan E450s for the developers and training types to play with
    pending the arrival of the main kit.

    BTBTW - Beware of Geneva.
    If you think NYC is expensive then you aint seen nothing yet.

    C. Newport, Sep 9, 2003
  16. Andrew

    Chris Morgan Guest

    I don't think NYC is that expensive even compared to London!

    Chris Morgan, Sep 9, 2003
  17. If you want to swap it for a smaller paper weight, I'll do you a
    straight swap.

    --
    The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
    they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge.

    Dr. David Kirkby,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Department of Medical Physics,
    University College London,