=2GB RAM memory gives errors, <2gb ok , Is there a design flaw withon D865PERL?

Discussion in 'Intel' started by nobody, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. nobody

    nobody Guest

    I want to use 2 GB RAM in a D865PERL for use with Photoshop, but can't
    get it to work reliably with more than 1.5GB RAM on motherboard.

    System:
    Intel D865PERLK (w/firewire and 1000mb lan) motherboard
    P4 2.6 MHz CPU
    4 sticks of Micron 512mb DDR400 (PC3200) RAM
    Video ATI 9600 Pro
    Antec Sonata case w/380w "True" power supply

    All drivers and BIOS's have been upgraded. Memory settings are auto set
    by BIOS.

    I ran with two sticks for 1000mb memory for 2 weeks with no problems.

    I added two more sticks for 2000mb and started getting random reboots in
    WinXP. A memory test with memtest86 after boot from floppy shows
    intermittent memory errors on 32 bit tests.

    Micron said test each stick in machine alone. All sticks pass. I tried
    the new pair alone, they pass. Old pair pass. I tried various
    combination of 3 sticks (=1500mb) in single channel mode, using various
    slots on motherboard, all pass. Micron says "likely a voltage problem".

    I replaced the 380W Antec True Power supply with a 430 Antec True Power.
    Add a 120mm cooling fan. Turn off all fan slowing controls. No change in
    symptoms. 4 sticks cause memory errors. Otherwise ok.

    I replaced video card with ATI Radeon 9200. No improvement.

    Intel tech support was unable to help on the phone. They changed one
    memory setting in BIOS with no benefit. I sent the motherboard back to
    vendor.

    New motherboard, new P4 2.6 CPU arrives. I add all 4 sticks of RAM. SAME
    PROBLEM. It seems to not reliably work with all four memory slots filled
    in DDR400 RAM = 2000mb total.

    I have replaced everything but the RAM and case. What else is there to
    do? Micron has been good memory for me in the past. Is there a design
    problem with either motherboard or CPU?

    Does anyone else use 2000mb+ of DDR400 on a D865PERL? It seems to not
    work with each of two motherboards and P4 2.6 C w/hyperthreading.

    nobody, Dec 4, 2003

  2. nobody

    David Gorick Guest

    Return the RAM back to Micron and have them send you a matched set. I had a
    similar problem and even though both sticks that I originally bought were
    supposedly identical they didn't work together. The new matched set that
    Micron sent me back has worked fine ever since. I don't guarantee that it
    will solve your problem but you've tried everything else.

    David

    David Gorick, Dec 4, 2003

  3. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Thanks, your experience gives me some hope. The first pair I bought does
    not look exactly the same as the second pair despite the same part
    number. (PC board is a bit taller.)

    I'll contact Micron again.

    nobody, Dec 4, 2003
  4. I'm running the D865PERLK here with a 3.2GHz P4 and four 512MB
    Infineon PC3200 DIMMS. All were bought together, came from the
    same batch and have identical markings. Never a problem.

    I agree with the prior writer. Return your RAM and have Crucial
    exchange it for a set of 4 matched units. They use Micron chips.
    Your problems will go away.

    Best regards and good luck.

    Ivan Vestergaard

    Ivan Vestergaard, Dec 4, 2003
  5. nobody

    yogi Guest

    I was building a second system and I wanted to install 2x512mb sticks
    of ram in it but the shop convinced me that the system would work
    better with 4x256mb sticks, when I got home and put all the parts
    together the system would not even post, I removed 2 sticks of ram and
    the system would boot, switch the 2 sticks with the 2 still in the
    computer and the computer would still boot, put the 2 sticks back in
    and it would not post. I took the 2x512mb sticks out of my main
    computer and replaced the 4x256mb sticks in the computer I was
    building and the computer worked well, I then put the 4x256mb sticks
    into my main system and it worked for the rest of the night, however
    the next morning the main computer would not even post, so I removed 2
    sticks and it worked, so I took the system to the shop and told them
    what was happening and that they were the ones that talked me into the
    4x256mb sticks in the first place, as it turns out, the system will
    work happily with 1, 2 or 3 sticks of ram but NOT 4, so you might need
    2x1024mb sticks to do what you want.

    So for what I can make out the P4C800 Deluxe & P4P800 and probably
    others don't like having all the ram slots populated.

    Regards
    Keith Holzapfel
    (ROT13)

    Product Version: 6.0.545 Release Date: 02/09/2003
    Virus Database: 339 Release Date: 27/11/2003

    yogi, Dec 4, 2003
  6. There were a bunch of motherboards that had four slots but had some
    ridiculous restrictions on using four modules in them (for example, they
    must all be the lowest speed the mobo supports!). Maybe your mobo is one of
    those.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Dec 4, 2003
  7. nobody

    Nate Edel Guest

    Also some, IIRC, that would take unregistered memory if you only used two
    slots, but would require registered memory if you wanted to use all four.

    Nate Edel, Dec 5, 2003
  8. nobody

    Athura Guest

    I could be wrong, but i seem to remember reading in the ATI NG of people
    with ATI cards having problems with large amounts (2gig) of RAM. From
    memory, they swapped to a nvidia card and the problems ended. I'm not ATI
    bashing, I have one of their cards myself, so it might be worth looking into
    it as a possibility. I have no idea why it happens, its just something i
    have read.

    Athura, Dec 5, 2003
  9. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Ivan,

    (Micron is sending me a new set of memory.) BTW, what video card do you
    use in your system? ATI?

    Somebody suggested it's an ATI design problem. Say NVIDIA and I am
    wondering.

    Maynard

    nobody, Dec 5, 2003
  10. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Thanks for the heads up. If the new memory has errors, I'll have to
    switch the video card to NVIDIA or the CPU to a faster P4. I've tried
    everything else.

    nobody, Dec 6, 2003
  11. Please don't top post. It really sucks you know.
    Good luck with your new RAM. You should not have any problems.

    I'm using an NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL video adapter with 128 MB RAM

    Best regards,
    Ivan Vestergaard

    ---
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
    text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.

    Ivan Vestergaard, Dec 6, 2003
  12. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Thanks, Ivan. (And you top posted for me, too.<g> Sorry about that. Is
    this better?)

    So you do have NVIDIA! I expect the replacement memory in about 3 days.
    If I see errors after I swap that, then I may need to switch brand of
    video card

    Thanks, again.

    nobody, Dec 7, 2003
  13. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Thanks to all who helped. I called Crucial back and they agreed to swap
    memory, despite again saying there should be no problem as each pair
    matched. One pair was T1 and the second pair was T2 of the same model,
    both were made in the USA.

    The replacement memory was Micron 4 512mb DDR400 DIMMs T2 and made in
    Singapore. NO PROBLEMS so far. Overnight memory tests were clean.

    Beware unmatched memory in the D865PERL.

    nobody, Dec 12, 2003