2nd HD install question re: cable orientation

Discussion in 'Dell' started by GarySport, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. GarySport

    GarySport Guest

    This is probably a dumb question but do hard drives have a "correct side up"?
    i.e., does it make any difference whether the green circuit board side or the
    metal side is upright in the computer? The reason I ask is I'm installing a
    2nd HD in my 8600, and I noticed when I unplugged the cable from the first one
    that the drive is right side up but that the cable went up and under (upside
    down) in order to accomodate the notch on the connector. Therefore I couldn't
    use the pull-tab assist to disconnect it (it was underneath), so I just
    disconnected it with my fingers, no problem. However, when I install the
    second drive, if I connect the 1st exactly like it was, the connector for the
    2nd drive is on the wrong side of the cable and can't be plugged in. And if I
    just twist the cable to get both connectors on the same side, then the notches
    in the connectors are in the wrong place. I dug out a non-Dell cable I had and
    sure enough, the Dell connectors are upside down compared to the non-Dell
    cable. The only way I can figure out how to continue using the Dell cable is
    to put both drives "upside down". I guess I could use the other cable I had,
    but it doesn't have the pull-tabs which I like for easier disconnection. For
    those of you who have installed a 2nd HD, how did you orient your drives and
    route your Dell cable to get the connector notches to line up? Is this weird,
    or am I? <grin>

    GaryS

    GarySport, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Most drives can be installed HDA up, circuit board up, or vertically with no
    problem.

    Edward J. Neth, Jun 29, 2003

  3. GarySport

    Liam Devlin Guest

    No, in my Dim XPS B866r the C: drive was mounted vertically and the D:
    drive was installed green side up.

    Liam Devlin, Jun 29, 2003
  4. GarySport

    Mike Berger Guest

    That depends on the drive. A few years ago, most drives were made to be
    in one orientation. Now, many of them are more flexible as to how they can
    be mounted. But you're still dealing with a high speed rotating device and
    bearings. The drive should almost certainly be oriented at 0 or 90 degree
    intervals and not in between. You'll probably reduce bearing life in any
    position but flat, rightside up.

    Mike Berger, Jun 30, 2003
  5. GarySport

    RD Guest

    So if flat, which way is "rightside up"? The metal surface on top or the green
    circuit board on top? Thanks.

    RD

    RD, Jun 30, 2003
  6. Doesn't matter ... but ... the layout of the IDE cable may make one drive
    orientation easy to install, and the other quite difficult.

    Lester Horwinkle, Jul 5, 2003