    Is there a break-even point where the warrantee length is overkill for
    notebooks?

    Anyone have any thoughts on that?

    Thomas G. Marshall, Oct 23, 2005

  2. "Thomas G. Marshall"
    I usually get a 3-year warranty, as that's as long as I keep a laptop
    before upgrading. There is a point of diminishing returns, though, as
    the value of a 3-year-old notebook is nearly zero compared to a new
    one 3 years later.

    You want to have a warranty (or replacement plan) that's as long as
    you plan on keeping the notebook, as any out-of-warranty repair will
    most likely be cost-prohibitive.

    William P.N. Smith, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Basically what it all comes down to is there are a couple of parts on
    notebooks that can fail and are extremely expensive to repair
    (particularly the LCD & the motherboard). Also note, high end notebooks
    tend to maintain their value at least somewhat well (my former machine
    from 2001 still goes for $300 on eBay which was more than the 3 year
    warranty's price). There's a few factors to consider: first off what
    was the initial value of the notebook? Secondly, how long do you intend
    on keeping it? How critical is it to your work (eg. is this your only
    machine so you can't have down time, or do you have a backup)? Finally
    how clumbsy are you (do you need an all inclusive warranty or just one
    for failed parts)?

    Personally, I tend to go with business class models (higher initial
    price) which I expect to last at least three years. I do have a
    backup, so I can live with a mail-in warranty, and I'm fairly careful
    and don't have a need for accidental coverage. In my situation, I tend
    to go for 3 year warranty minimums, and at least with my previous
    machine, it's been worth it. I wuldn't pay for an extended warranty
    (beyond 1 year) on a model that cost below $700 (nor would I expect it
    to last 3 years under hard use, though I hope it would). Given my
    conditions stated above, my warranty purchasing preferences as a
    function of initial value (P) would be:
    P < $750 1yr
    $750 < P < $1350 2yr
    1350 < P < $2000 3yr
    P > $2000 4yr

    Nicholas Andrade, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Thomas G. Marshall

    moncho Guest

    Taking into consideration from the other posters, you need to figure out how
    you use
    your laptop.

    For example, I use my laptop for small uses (Wireless Internet, Word
    Processing) and I have
    a desktop backup in the event my laptop dies. When I purchased my Inspiron
    8600, I knew
    that I was not going to need one for a long time to come because I have no
    reason to upgrade.
    I use the same types of software, albeit newer versions, as when I first
    purcahsed my laptop.

    I purchased the three year onsite w/accidental coverage (total $375). I
    will
    definately get the extended one year when they send it to me in Dec. 2006.
    I will not
    need a new laptop for the next 2 years or so unless I get into other types
    of software that
    require better hardware configurations (e.g. Photo editing).

    If you are a gamer or person that continually requires new hardware, go with
    a two year
    warranty w/accidental coverage, then purchase a new laptop in a couple
    years. You can
    always extend the warranty a year when Dell asks if you want to renew.

    If you will use your laptop occasionally, and you buy a powerfull laptop
    now, get a longer
    warranty.

    moncho

    moncho, Oct 24, 2005