3 ?s with an old Time Machine HDD, iPhoto's Faces feature, old TimeMachine HDD, and missing vertical

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Sep 23, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    Three/3 questions:

    1. IPhoto's Faces feature is kind of neat, but it only shows three faces
    for identifications/IDs per page/screen. I guess we know how our
    government, police, etc. do face capturings. ;) Is there a way to
    navigate (e.g., back instead of forward) just to view random faces?

    2. I used Time Machine on an old 15" MacBook Pro (mid-2008)'s Mac OS X
    10.5.8 for about three years. Is it safe to reuse this external Time
    Machine HDD on a new 13.3" MacBook Pro (mid-2012) with its Mac OS X
    10.8.2? Can it also reused on the old one too, between both machines or
    only with the new machine?

    3. Is it me or do sometimes vertical scrollbars do not show up even
    though I know there is more stuff to see. It seems like they only show
    up if I do the annoying tablet finger gestures?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Cheerios: Hula-hoops for ants." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Sep 23, 2012

  2. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    No.

    I used that "identify the faces" feature a little, but gave up as it was
    too tedious.

    If I want to add faces, I view photos normally, show the info panel on
    the right, and use the Faces feature there to reveal faces that have
    been detected (and may need identity confirmation or naming), or add
    faces that were not spotted.
    If you use the same drive to back up the new computer, it will start a
    new backup which sits alongside the one for the old computer.

    If you then moved the drive back to the old computer, it would continue
    updating its backup, without affecting the backup for the new computer.

    Over time, both backups would grow and eventually the disk will get
    full. After that point, each computer will delete its own oldest backups
    as required to make room for additional backups. Since the old computer
    has been using the drive for the longest time, it is likely to have more
    backups on the drive than the newer one, and that general pattern will
    be retained in future if you continued to back up equally on both of
    them (and they generate a similar amount of changed data per backup).

    If both computers will continue to be used for a while, it may be more
    conveneint to have a separate drive for each.
    If you have a trackpad, then by default the scroll bars only show while
    you are scrolling. In Mountain Lion they also appear if you rest two
    fingers on the trackpad (in preparation for two finger scrolling).

    If you want to see the scroll bars all the time without having to touch
    the trackpad, go into System Preferences > General and for "Show scroll
    bars" select "Always" rather than the default "Automaticaly based on
    mouse or trackpad".

    David Empson, Sep 23, 2012

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Not add faces, just look at the detected ones that took about an hour
    last night when first using iPhoto from its upgrade from the data migration.

    Ah, so one can't use the old TM backups then. I didn't know it would
    have two different TMs.

    Is there a way to customize their sizes? Like both of them keep half of
    the spaces? Or make the old one smaller than the new one? I probably
    won't reuse the old one. The last back up was before the data migration.

    Ah. That's a weird design because it is confusing to know if there are
    more to see or not before I touch the trackpad with two fingers.

    Oh good. Thanks. :)
    --
    "When the ant grows wings it is about to die." --Arabic
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Sep 23, 2012
  4. Is there a way to customize their sizes? Like both of them keep half of
    the spaces? Or make the old one smaller than the new one? I probably
    won't reuse the old one. The last back up was before the data migration.[/QUOTE]

    AFAIK, TimeMachine uses the disk(s) assigned to it to do it's backups.
    There's no way to apportion how much space you assign to TimeMachine
    other than to partition a real hard drive and use a partition for the
    actual backup. I don't know if you can do this with a TimeCapusule, but
    with an attached drive, it's doable. However, I don't think you can say
    "put backups for machine A on this partition and machine B on that
    partition". It's all or nothing, AFAIK. Someone (David maybe), jump in
    and correct me if I've got it wrong. I've always just used TM as it
    came "out of the box" with the exception of I time my backups on my own
    schedule using TimeMachineEditor.

    Michael Vilain, Sep 23, 2012
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Ah thanks. Hmm, I will have to think about it. Maybe I will format it
    and then start clean for the new MBP later on since it pretty much the
    same data on the new one (trying to retire the old MBP).
    --
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe only in horror. In nature there is
    no evil, only an abundance of horror: the plagues and the blights and

    Ant, Sep 24, 2012
  6. Ant

    Tom Stiller Guest

    What I learned:
    TC backups are stored in sparsebundle images

    The image for each machine backed-up will grow until theTC space is
    [nearly] consumed.

    When backups are purged, they're purged from the sparsebundle image; the
    image does not shrink and the purging has no effect of the available
    space of the TC drive.

    As long as the sparsebundle image for a given machine is large enough to
    store a "reasonable" number of backups, I don't worry about space
    allocation on theTC drive.

    Tom Stiller, Sep 24, 2012
  7. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    That's only true for networked TM backups. TM backups on local drives
    are stored directly in the file system of the backup drive. (I've seen
    mention of ways to start a TM backup as a sparsebundle and continue
    using it locally, but that is not the usual arrangement.)
    Local TM backups which do not involve sparsebundles interact with each
    other to a greater degree once the backup drive is full, as deletion of
    a single historic backup for one computer may result in enough free
    space for another computer to use, depending on how often each one is
    backed up.

    The same situation arises if a Mac is doing local backups and also
    acting as a server to host backups for other Macs. In this case, the
    local backups are individual files, while the backups for other
    computers are sparsebundles.

    In this case, the local backups are at a disadvantge when the disk fills
    up, because the sparsebundles may grow to fill any available free space,
    and then never let go of that space. Every time an old local TM backup
    is deleted, the "server" computer may end up with less space for its
    backups in future.

    To avoid this sort of problem, I used partitions on the backup drive, so
    the local backups had their own dedicated partition, and all network
    backups went to another partition.

    David Empson, Sep 25, 2012
  8. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    *ALL* Time Capsule backups are stored in sparsebundles, because *ALL* TC
    backups are networked.

    Lewis, Sep 26, 2012
  9. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    Tom introduced the Time Capsule to this discussion, which was about Time
    Machine backups to a local hard drive. I was explaining the general case
    of Time Machine backups to both local and network drives.

    David Empson, Sep 26, 2012
  10. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    You replied to his statement that Time Capsule backups are stored in
    sparsebundle images with a incorrect correction stating "that is only
    true for networked TM backups," implying that some TC backups might not
    be stored in sparsebundles.

    Lewis, Sep 26, 2012
  11. Ant

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Oh, let it go. It's clear what everyone intended.

    Tom Stiller, Sep 26, 2012
  12. Ant

    Ant Guest

    FYI, I had to format the old 250 GB TM partition/drive since 57 GB was
    too small for the new MBP to do a 115 GB backup. :( Since it was last
    backed up of the old MBP (still works too, just physically slowly
    falling apart hence to buy a new one) and the migration was a success,
    we decided to start clean with the new TM backup. Also, he didn't want
    another external HDD since the two years old is still working. :)

    I have another question about its TM encryption: Can we still access it
    on other computers (beside Macs, and those that can read Mac file system
    (HFS)) and use it to access its data? Can we remove/add encryption
    easily on the fly or does it require redoing it from scratch?
    --
    "Even the wishes of a small ant reach heaven." --Japanese
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Sep 30, 2012
  13. No one's commented on your TM encryption question, so I'm going to go
    out on a limb here and say that it's not a NAS. It's for MacOS backups.
    The encryption used will probably work throughout the MacOS 10.5-10.8
    systems but if you try to talk to it with Windows or Linux, you're most
    likely out of luck. Granted both those systems can implement Apple's
    File Sharing protocol (if that's what it uses), but the encryption may
    void that.

    Try using your AppleCare contract and contacting Apple Support. Explain
    what you're trying to do. They'll be able to tell you if you're SOL or
    not. I'm guessing that you are.

    If you want network attached storage that's cross-platform, Someone else
    here swears by the Droboboxen. Pricy compared to a Time Capsule but
    that's not their purpose.

    Michael Vilain, Oct 3, 2012