3 short beeps 1 long beep but still boot up normally

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ToLoc, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. ToLoc

    ToLoc Guest

    Hi all,
    My computer beep 3 short beeps then 1 long beep during POST, then
    again for sevral times at "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." along with
    screen blinking. It then says "complete POST test", and boot into
    win2K as normal. According to the manual, it might be the video card
    or video card memory problem, but in my case it's working.
    I have tried many things such as reset CMOS, reoder my DDR memory
    sticks, change BIOS setting but no luck. Here is my computer
    configuration:
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 333Mhz
    2 512Mb Kinston DDR 3200 400Mhz 2.5V
    120G ATA/133 Maxtor Hard drive
    nVidia GeForce 100/200 MX 32MB PCI

    Overall it detects everything right (Hard drive, CDROM, memory, dual
    memory, CPU..) and it's fast. The only abnormal thing is the
    beepings. I notice the only thing is my DDR Ram say 2.5V, but in BIOS
    the minimum setting is at 2.6V. Could it be the problem? I have BIOS
    Rev 1005 (05-14-2003).

    Please help me out if you can. Thanks.

    ToLoc, Jul 5, 2003

  2. ToLoc

    Vic Guest

    The beeps are related to standard posting beep and one
    single beep for each one of the usb devices connected
    to the board, in reference to the voltage to DDR memory
    can't really tell you but I know the bios will set them to
    the right setting for optimal running ,myself using the 1008 bios
    and works for me.
    Cheers
    Vic

    Vic, Jul 6, 2003

  3. ToLoc

    Paul Guest

    As far as I know, the "beep per USB" feature exists on P4P800/P4C800
    family motherboards using AMI bios. The A7N8X uses an Award BIOS,
    and beep codes are used for a few error conditions at POST.

    Do you have the "Voice Post" feature enabled ? Perhaps there is a
    message on there, that will give you a hint as to what is wrong.

    The manual says one long beep followed by three short beeps is
    "video card not found or video card memory bad".

    It almost sounds like it is getting confused between the AGP slot
    and the PCI video card. Maybe the motherboard thinks there is something
    plugged into the AGP slot ? The "Verifying DMI Pool Data" almost
    sounds like the motherboard thinks it has detected a new card or
    something.

    About the only other thing I can think of, is to borrow
    a PCI POST card. It has two seven segment LED displays on it, and
    the BIOS writes codes to the displays during the boot process - this
    sometimes gives info as to which routine in the BIOS is finding
    an error. There is a picture of a dual ISA/PCI version of one
    of these test cards here. (There are other makers of cards like
    this, but usually the price is higher.)

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2736212980
    http://www.knightdiscounts.com/homeav.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 6, 2003
  4. ToLoc

    Vic Guest

    My apologies ,I guess I should start reading the postings
    in full before I reply , I'm truly sorry.
    Vic

    Vic, Jul 6, 2003
  5. ToLoc

    ToLoc Guest

    Thanks for your help.
    The voice message say it's complete POST test and will boot into
    window system, nothing else. It gives me the beeps when I first start
    the machine, then right at the DMI pooling screen. Each restart after
    that only give me the beeps at DMI pooling screen.
    I only have one PCI graphic card. I set it in BIOS "PCI VGA" and
    other settings are optimal. Right now I don't know how to fix this
    thing, support from Asus is suck. Nothing back from them for a few
    days now.

    ToLoc, Jul 6, 2003
  6. ToLoc

    ToLoc Guest

    It turned out to be hard drive problem. I replaced the Maxtor
    6Y120LPO 120GB ATA/133 with WD800JB EIDE/ATA/100 the beeping go away,
    however i noticed the machine seem to run slower than before.
    According to A7N8X Deluxe specs it supports ATA/133, so what is the
    problem?
    Please let me know, thanks.

    ToLoc, Jul 6, 2003