3000+ Related Questions

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Jamie_Manic, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Jamie_Manic

    Jamie_Manic Guest

    Ok, I have ordered a few bits n pieces and was wondering if you lot could
    offer some advice! I have ordered -

    Athlon 64 3000+ (Retail box with fan),
    Asus K8V Deluxe,
    2 x 512mb Crucial PC3200 RAM,
    Ebuyer 550W PSU,

    I'll be adding from my existing set-up -

    Radeon 9700,
    SB Audigy,
    Speedstream 3060 ADSL modem,
    Random Ethernet card,
    Samsung CDR drive,
    Toshiba DVD drive,
    Floppy Disc drive,
    Seagate Baracuda 40Gig HD UDMA100 (I think its 100 anyway),
    Maxtor 80Gig HD UDMA133.

    Now, first of all, having looked at the Asus site I see that the 3000+ is
    supported by the latest BIOS, the 1004. Does this mean that I will have to
    update the BIOS before I can do anything with my new CPU?

    I have looked around on Google Groups and not seen many discussions of
    problems with this board and CPU combo, considering the things I wish to add
    does anyone
    see any potential difficulties? Has anyone got any info they have learned
    they can pass on to help avoid any headaches??

    Finally, I had read you can overclock this processor to 2.2Ghz with the
    retail fan alone and no extra cooling. Is this a.) correct. and b.) safe to
    do with the K8V?? If so how do you do it?

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Jamie_Manic, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Jamie_Manic

    Wes Newell Guest

    The only possible problem I see is with the PC3200. It's only rated to
    200MHz, and that's the default of the cpu. That'sa lso how you overclock
    it by raising the bus speed since the multiplier is locked. So unless the
    board supports Async buses and you don't mind running it like that, you
    probably aren't going to get much of an overclock. IOW's I would have
    gotten faster ram.

    Wes Newell, Jan 27, 2004