32 bit vs 64 bit on an Ultra 1, and use with Sunrays

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by CJT, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. CJT

    CJT Guest

    I know 32 bit is the default on an Ultra 1 due to a (rarely
    seen, according to Sun) problem with the CPU, but if I'm
    willing to risk it, is the 64 bit faster or in any other way
    better for miscellaneous use (e.g. Web browsing, etc.)?

    Does anybody use these as Sunray servers? The docs say
    10base-T can be used with some decrease in performance.
    I'm considering using one as a cheap failover server.

    --
    After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the
    "SWEN" worm, I have concluded we must conceal our

    Charlie

    CJT, Oct 13, 2003

  2. CJT

    Tony Bourke Guest

    It shouldn't make any difference for normal desktop operations, since
    your browser and other apps are compiled 32-bit anyway. There is very
    little reason to run 64-bit on an Ultra 1 for most purposes.
    10base-T can push, at maximum, 1.25 Megabytes per second, which isn't a
    lot for that type of task, but if it's just a standby box, it should
    work in a pinch. 100base-T is 12.5 Megabytes per second.

    Tony Bourke, Oct 13, 2003

  3. CJT

    Scott Howard Guest

    There's little benefit to 64 bit on such a small machine, unless
    you've got specific apps which have been compiled for 64 bit only.
    I presume it's a 143Mhz Ultra-1? (The 170Mhz ones had 100Mbps)
    I've run a Sun Ray server on an Ultra-1 with 10Mbps and whilst it works
    OK for one user I wouldnt expect to push it much further than that.
    Screen updates are noticeably slower than normal (especially for
    full-screen updated - like logging in or opening a new large window).
    Find yourself an SBus HME/QFE card on eBay...

    Scott

    Scott Howard, Oct 14, 2003

  4. I'm not sure about the 143MHz version, but the 170MHz version came
    in two versions: one 10Mbit/Sbus graphics only (170) and the other
    with UPA graphics/100Mbit/faster SCSI (170E)

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Oct 14, 2003
  5. CJT

    Rich Teer Guest

    There was indeed a 140E in addition to the 170E. There wasn't
    a non-E variant of the 200 MHz 200E though.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Oct 14, 2003
  6. CJT

    Glenn Guest

    + On 13-Okt-03 21:23:58
    That only apply to the oldest Ultra1's AFAIK..
    No.. you dont notice any difference on normal use, but some software
    can take avantage of it..

    I run my Ultra1(e-170) in 64bit.. not that I really need to, but
    it's fun to tease all the windowsfanatics that think that IA64/Hammer
    is going to be so cool.. "64bit you say ? Well, I have an OLD machine
    with 64bit CPU in at home.. running a 64bit OS ofcoz.. when did you say
    windows was going to be 64bit ?" :D
    It probably would be dog slow.. especially at 10mbit.

    Glenn, Oct 16, 2003
  7. CJT

    Rich Teer Guest

    The problem afflicts ALL UltraSPARC-I CPUs.
    Indeed. Look how long it took Windoze to finally become
    32-bit! What was it, 10 YEARS after the 32-bit Intel CPUs
    were released?

    And M$ like to go on about how they innovate - snort!

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Oct 16, 2003
  8. CJT

    Chris Morgan Guest

    Sadly though, for 99% of all computers, 32-bit has been more than
    adequate all that time. The only unique selling point seems to very
    large memory capacity. By the time the volume market cares about that,
    they'll be able to just use AMD64. UltraSPARC, PowerPC, Alpha, MIPS
    etc will never get the kind of boost from 64-bit that we've been lead
    to believe from the marketing.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Morgan
    "Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in

    - anonymous correspondent

    Chris Morgan, Oct 17, 2003
  9. CJT

    valkyrie Guest

    Hmmm - does anyone know what the first ship date was for the Ultra
    1/170E? I've got a copy of an old Sun press release that says that the
    first ship date will be January 29, 1996. According to the serial
    number, my Ultra 1/170E was built in early February, 1996.

    valkyrie, Oct 17, 2003