    cable goes through my watercooling system then that plugs into my pc.

    i have a 550w PSU and all the status lights on the back of it indicate
    normal voltages, any idea what could cause it to not like cool weather?

    brett_messruther, Sep 29, 2005

  2. brett_messruther

    Paul Guest

    Well, the question is, what are the LEDs on the video card
    connected to ? That is pretty hard to answer, and without
    an exact model number and manufacturer name for the video
    card, pretty hard to research.

    The only thing I can suggest, is if the card uses a molex
    disk drive cable for power, try powering the card from a
    disk cable that is not shared with any other electrical
    loads. Perhaps the problem is related to too much voltage
    drop in the cable, and some monitoring circuit is tripping,
    thinking there is an overload on the video card. Using a
    disk drive cable with no other loads on it, does the best
    you can, from that perspective.

    Other than that, I would try to trace down what that LED feeds
    from. In terms of raw voltages, there are supply pins on the
    video card edge card, and also the +5V and +12V on the disk
    drive cable. Once those voltages go into the video card,
    there are one or more switching converters, that make
    voltages as low as 1.8V or 1.5V, to power the core of the
    GPU. It is possible the video RAM chips need a slightly
    different voltage than the GPU, and that is why there could
    be more than one switching supply. If one of the switching
    converters on the video card is internally overload protected,
    that could be shutting the thing down.

    I would think most video cards would not have an excess of
    shutdown features, as adding extra crap to a video card costs
    the manufacturer money. Most manufacturers just copy the reference
    design from Nvidia/ATI, and if the manufacturer got adventurous
    and redesigned part of it, there is no way to guess what
    extra failure modes got added in the process.

    In any case, if there is a limited warranty on the card, you
    may want to exercise that warranty, before the card quits
    altogether.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 29, 2005