    would like to know if his issue is widespread or isolated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Ed

    Ed Bacon, Jr., Dec 7, 2005

  2. Well, the FireGL 4 is really ancient and has nothing in common with the
    newer Radeon-based FireGL cards. It's an old design by Diamond (made
    before ATI bough the FireGL part from them) and doesn't support Direct3D
    at all...
    Without knowing the specs, no, sorry. The x4000 goes from a single XEON
    1.7GHz up to 2x XEON 2.8GHz officially (and can also take the rare 3GHz
    XEONs). With only a 1.7GHz CPU every somewhat newer card is wasted since
    the CPU is too slow. On the other hand, with two 3GHz XEONs it's
    worthwile to get a Geforce 6800GT or ATI X800...
    Isolated. I had a lot of cards running in my x4000 before I got rid of
    it. Every generic AGP card should work. In the end I had a FireGL
    X1-256p (Radeon 9700 based) in my x4000 with 2x 2GHz XEONs and 2GB RDRAM
    which worked fine...

    It simply depends on your config. If you have fast CPUs (2.5GHz and up)
    and at least 1GB RDRAM then get a Geforce 6600GT (if you're on budget)
    or better a 6800GT or ATI X800 (I'd recommend Nvidia since they have a
    much better OpenGL driver). But if you only have a low-spec config
    (2.4GHz or less, and/or less than 1GB of RAM) then I'd think twice. The
    faster XEON processors are still expensive as are RDRAM modules, and
    even if you put money for upgrades in that thing you still have a slow
    400MHz FSB and (compared to modern designs) relative slow memory
    performance. IMHO it's not worth the money of you have to buy new
    CPU(s), more RAM and also a fast gfx card...

    Benjamin, who replaced his x4000 with a xw8200 this year

    Benjamin Gawert, Dec 7, 2005

  3. On the seventh day, Ed Bacon, Jr. wrote...
    I double Benjamin's advice. If you have 2GHz Prestonia cpu(s) already, I
    can definitely suggest a Sapphire Atlantis 9800Pro (256bit) with 128MB RAM.
    This will get you decent performance but don't expect miracles. The card is
    available pretty cheap as well. However, only take original cards with no
    modification whatsoever concerning the fan. It is silent enough. Changing
    heatsink and fan will most likely break the card (overheating) since the
    modification is not that easy.

    There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without
    result. - Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill

    Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=, Dec 8, 2005
  4. Herr Bacon sagt vielen dank und schreibt zuruck:

    My X4000 has dual 2GHz w/ 2GB RAM. Considering your input I ended up
    installing an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X800XT 256MB AGP4X/8X as I intend to
    convert home videotapes to DVD.

    With regard to performance, a 3dMark03 test gave the X800XT 256MB a score of
    10078 compared to 1155 for the Radeon 9200 128MB in the same machine. This
    improvement is impressive enough for me, albeit the X800XT score is about
    15% below scores achieved by other machines with faster processors, memory,
    and chipsets.

    Frohe Weinachten to all of you.

    Ed Bacon, Jr.

    Ed Bacon, Jr., Dec 10, 2005