    Also, dos the Voodoo 5 5500 play Glide DOS games in real mode
    DOS? X-Car comes to mind.

    I ask here since alot here are old Voodoo users as well.

    Larry Roberts, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Larry Roberts

    Half_Light Guest

    No, you need a Voodoo1 or Voodoo2 to do that.

    Half_Light, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Larry Roberts

    MP Guest

    KINDLY WARNING: Very OFF-TOPIC from nVidia discussions:

    Larry, I know the feeling. I've many an old game that do not run in XP
    without serious patching, extra apps, etc., and I hope you will find the
    answers here, but I can't help you. I don't know about the best Voodoo 5
    drivers.
    I'm glad you brought this "old Voodoo users" Off-Topic post up, because I
    really like this Newsgroup. Most people here are very knowledgable, have
    been through many computers and cards, and are friendly and helpful.

    And my Voodoo card isn't nearly as "young" as yours - but I'll bet someone
    has had both Voodoo2, 3, etc. as they came out, and can help us.

    I hope I don't anger anyone here since I'm not mentioning anything about
    nVidia cards (although I have three now that I have loved to talk about in
    this nVidia Newsgroup) but simply wanted to tell my story. Maybe someone can
    help me with an old Voodoo 2.

    My question: "What was the best and last DirectX version and drivers for an
    old Voodoo2 card?"

    Larry, I've kept my old 1999 Compaq Presario 5070 AMD-K6-2 350Mhz/Windows 98
    (*not* 98SE) with a Diamond Monster 3DFXII Voodoo2 "accelerator" card (as
    they were called back then) for exactly the same reasons:

    ....to play old DOS games and games that just don't want to (or can't) run in
    XP without some hassle like installing DOSBox, SCUMMVR, Slo-Mo, etc. By the
    way: I use a KVM switch to switch back and forth between my new computer and
    the old AMD-K6-2.

    Even patches for a lot of older games (made for WIN3.1, WIN95, WIN98 or
    WIN98SE) don't seem to work well in XP, and I like some of the older
    Adventure games that absolutely will *not* run in XP. For example: an old
    scary Point 'n' Clicker called "Amber: Journeys Beyond". No one I know can
    get "Amber" to run in XP. It seems to be the Adventure game riddle of the
    decade for XP.

    Anyway: considering the single Seagate Hard Drive was partitioned C: and D:
    (System) and it is a measly 4.0 Gigabyte HD, I really only have at most ± 2
    Gigabytes of HD space on the C: partition.

    I've kept that computer as lean and squeaky clean as I possibly can since
    1999, and uninstalled many, many applications that I would never use (for
    example, Minesweeper, Solitaire, Compaq "help" stuff, OEM junk, etc.). It
    only has a dial-up modem (no networking card) but I did use a lean virus
    protection program when I used to be on dial-up.

    Never had a single virus, Trojan, worm, Adware, or Spyware problem - ever.
    Even used an old free Ipswitch WS_FTP95 File Transfer Protocol application
    (which I *still* use on my XP and the thing works as simple and flawless as
    ever).

    Of course, Microsoft XP in its divine wisdom occasionally detects how *old*
    the WS_FTP95 is, and says: "Time to get a new one, you cheap bastard."

    I simply close the WS_FTP95 app, and crank it up again from its target
    location without using the Desktop shortcut. No problems. Files of all sizes
    transfer beautifully. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? If it works,
    it works, right?

    I'm sorry. I'm going way, *way* Off-Topic, but I'm getting to my original
    question.

    I believe the DirectX version on my Voodoo2 installation disk was 5.1, but
    one of the first games I installed on the Compaq contained DirectX 6. It ran
    beautifully.

    Shortly thereafter DirectX 7 came along, and I'm not sure if the Voodoo2
    liked it very much but I used it anyway, since things seemed to look okay in
    dxdiag.

    Then, DirectX 8.1 came along and to be quite frank about it - I really don't
    know if the Voodoo2 liked *that* version and I was actually too cowardly to
    check DX 8.1 in dxdiag. nevertheless - the games that required DX 8 seemed
    to run okay.

    BUT: here's where I became *really* stupid - the doodoo hit the fan when I
    installed DirectX 9.0c.

    I had to "bust" the DX9.0c, but I'm not sure what the best DX version and
    drivers would be for my ancient Voodoo2 card now.

    Thanks for hanging in here, and anyone that could tell me the last - and
    best - DirectX version and drivers for my old Diamond Monster 3DFXII Voodoo2
    card, I would really appreciate it.

    Mark

    MP, Apr 1, 2006

  4. Ouch! That sucks.

    Larry Roberts, Apr 1, 2006
  5. Larry Roberts

    First of One Guest

    3dfx drivers, some of which are still being developed:
    http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/index.htm

    For Glide DOS and Glide 1.0 games, the Voodoo5 won't work. However, there is
    a fairly good D3D wrapper called dgVoodoo that was written just for them:
    http://dege.freeweb.hu/

    There's also GliDOS, but it is not freeware.

    First of One, Apr 1, 2006
  6. Larry Roberts

    First of One Guest

    See my other reply to Larry Roberts, about where to download up-to-date 3dfx
    drivers, some of which are still being developed.

    With the FastVoodoo drivers, I got two mismatched 12 MB Voodoo2 cards
    (Diamond + Creative) running in non-adjacent PCI slots. This is all of
    course in a secondary "old games" rig with Win98 and DX9.0c. Some games like
    Mercenaries v1.1 simply do not function in XP regardless of how much
    patching you do.

    The last official 3dfx Voodoo2 drivers, v3.02.02, were DX7-compatible. See:
    http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm

    First of One, Apr 1, 2006
  7. Larry Roberts

    MP Guest

    : in message
    "First of One" answered:
    Thank you very much, First of One.

    I saved the newsgroup message with your helpful information.

    I couldn't remember the last drivers that worked well with my old Voodoo 2
    card.

    Also: I thought the Voodoo 2 card did well with DirectX version 8.1.
    Apparently not, and I just didn't notice or something.

    So,I suppose I should just use my XP computer if the game requires higher
    than DX7, and keep the old Diamond Monster 3dfx Voodoo2 drivers at v3.02.02
    using DX7.

    Thanks again.

    Mark

    MP, Apr 3, 2006