    They did include six cores with the 2nd Generation i7. Is there an intent
    to support six cores in the 3rd Generation i7, and what is timeline for
    releasing that?

    W, Nov 26, 2012

  2. W

    Guest

    On Monday, 26 November 2012 16:01:47 UTC+8, W wrote:
    > I was going through the list of i7 processors on Intel's site, and it looks
    >
    > like for the latest 3rd Generation I7 they do not have a six core processor.
    >
    > They did include six cores with the 2nd Generation i7. Is there an intent
    >
    > to support six cores in the 3rd Generation i7, and what is timeline for
    >
    > releasing that?

    Are you referring to the LGA2011 i7? That was a Xeon in sheep's clothing
    and a wee bit expensive...
    How many customers actually bought it?

    , Dec 7, 2012

  3. W

    W Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Monday, 26 November 2012 16:01:47 UTC+8, W wrote:
    > > I was going through the list of i7 processors on Intel's site, and it

    looks

    > > like for the latest 3rd Generation I7 they do not have a six core

    processor.

    > > They did include six cores with the 2nd Generation i7. Is there an

    intent

    > > to support six cores in the 3rd Generation i7, and what is timeline for
    > >
    > > releasing that?

    > Are you referring to the LGA2011 i7? That was a Xeon in sheep's clothing
    > and a wee bit expensive...
    > How many customers actually bought it?

    Apparently it is FCLGA1155 according to:

    http://ark.intel.com/products/series/65131

    Under 3rd Generation Intel Core i7 look for subcategory Intel Core i7-3700
    Desktop Processor Series. There are four processors in this series.

    Dell is using these processors as the basis for their XPS 8500 gaming
    system. There is no way I would buy a gaming system with a single four
    core processor. Six core would be minimum so I am wondering when/if Intel
    will support six cores with that socket layout.

    W, Dec 7, 2012
  4. W

    daytripper Guest

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 02:29:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >On Monday, 26 November 2012 16:01:47 UTC+8, W wrote:
    >> I was going through the list of i7 processors on Intel's site, and it looks
    >> like for the latest 3rd Generation I7 they do not have a six core processor.
    >> They did include six cores with the 2nd Generation i7. Is there an intent
    >> to support six cores in the 3rd Generation i7, and what is timeline for
    >> releasing that?

    >Are you referring to the LGA2011 i7? That was a Xeon in sheep's clothing
    >and a wee bit expensive...
    >How many customers actually bought it?

    One that I personally know of ;)

    The 990X is a fabulous performer...

    Cheers!

    daytripper, Dec 8, 2012
  5. W

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 07/12/2012 5:29 AM, wrote:
    > On Monday, 26 November 2012 16:01:47 UTC+8, W wrote:
    >> I was going through the list of i7 processors on Intel's site, and it looks
    >>
    >> like for the latest 3rd Generation I7 they do not have a six core processor.
    >>
    >> They did include six cores with the 2nd Generation i7. Is there an intent
    >>
    >> to support six cores in the 3rd Generation i7, and what is timeline for
    >>
    >> releasing that?

    > Are you referring to the LGA2011 i7? That was a Xeon in sheep's clothing
    > and a wee bit expensive...
    > How many customers actually bought it?

    I have a Phenom II X6 1100T, and I do find the feature useful over my
    previous X3 Phenom. The multicores are still useful even if you don't
    have any multithreaded apps (not possible these days, most apps are
    multithreaded to some extent). However, if you only have single-threaded
    apps, running multiple of them simultaneously is still a useful exercise
    on multicore processors.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Dec 28, 2012