3rd party LVD disks and X6758A

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Cedric Marvin, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    On a Sun E420R (Solaris 8) I am considering adding the following:
    - A Storcase (www.storcase.com) external disk enclosure.
    - A couple of Seagate Cheetah 146 gig 68 pin LVD disk drives.
    - A Sun X6758A PCI LVD SCSI adapter.

    The release notes for the Sun adapter specify support only for
    the 3310/D2/S1 arrays. Will this adapter have any problems seeing
    these LVD disks ?

    Does anybody have any experience with this setup ? Any "gotchas"?
    Should I consider other brand 146 gig disks ?

    Also on the partitioning front: I need lots of 2 gig Informix database
    raw partitions.
    I have never done it, but understand that it's possible to take a unix
    disk partition and further partition it with OnLineDiskSuite into smaller
    partitions (so I can get 35 two gig. partitions out of a 70 gig unix
    partition (Informix uses 2 gig max. size raw chunks (32 bit numbers)).

    Anybody have any comments on the use of OnLineDiskSuite here ?

    Thanks in advance for any advice and help !

    Cedric

    Cedric Marvin, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Hi,

    A quick look at their website seem to reveal that the software to configure
    the storecase diskarrays was only available for MS_Windows.
    That would be a real problem if you only have SCSI connection to the
    RAID array.

    If you are looking for JBODs and not RAID arrays I would take a
    hard look at the SUN D2 unit which is the most cost-effective
    SUN supplied JBOD.

    Make sure that you buy enough number of disks to sustain the
    number of transfers per second that you need.
    Dont expect a single disk to give you more than 5 - 10 SQL queries
    per second. ( 100 - 200 IOPS )

    It may seem like a economically sound idea to buy a chassie an put
    say three large disks in it. However it may not give you the
    performance you need.

    //Lars

    Lars Tunkrans, Jan 6, 2004