    Any solutions would be of great value to me and, hopefully others, as
    well.
    Thank you

    Ryan, Apr 6, 2005

  2. Ryan

    Conor Turton Guest

    Blame Microsoft for ripping off Sun.
    Yeah..it can completely **** up the OS. Added to that, if you ever use
    Windows Update, it'll overwrite what you've done.

    Conor Turton, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Ryan

    Guest Guest

    So what is your real question or topic? That you want to use the
    Microsoft JVM instead of Microsoft's? Please explain why you would want
    to use the stagnant Microsoft JVM.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Eh? Are you addressing this message to an individual or the Abit motherboard
    newsgroup? One can't help but wonder whether you've sent this message to the
    wrong place.
    Gee, as has been said, I guess that's what happens when MS nick other
    people's IP.
    Eh? This is a motherboard newsgroup. Why would you expect to see people from
    MS or OEM's here?
    Surely, in order to answer that question with any sort of accuracy, we'd
    need to know what sort of reverse-engineering/tampering you were
    contemplating.
    I still can't help but think that this message has been mis-sent. Either
    way, the question it contains is bizarre, and needs copious additional
    detail before any of us can give you a real answer.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Ryan

    Stephen Guest

    The third party could've added a virus/trojan/spyware.

    What's wrong with using the one from www.java.com ?

    Stephen

    Stephen, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    I have considered that the third party MAY have added virus/spyware.
    Since my last post, I have downloaded instructions on how one is to go
    about installing xpsp1_en_x86.exe through the Microsoft website as well
    as Jupiter Jones

    Ryan, Apr 15, 2005
  7. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Thank you all for your input. Has anyone else downloaded Microsoft's
    first release of xpsp1_en_x86.exe from a third-party website. If so,
    what was your experience?
    All I would like to know is that, to the BEST of everyone's
    knowledge, IS IT POSSIBLE for a third-party website to have tampered
    w/xpsp1_en_x86.exe at all, or do you think MS took extra precautions
    and somehow encrypted this file so that it would be hard to tamper with
    it.
    I have a 3-yr. old GIGABYTE Motherboard equipped with Windows XP Home
    Edition 512 MB RAM, etc.
    I apologize to those of you who think we're wasting time and effort
    here, but as a precautionary measure, I would really like everyone to
    look at this from the perspective that we're a TEAM. We're supposed to
    help everyone out regardless of what views we have.

    Ryan, Apr 15, 2005
  8. Oh jeez, so you *did* actually intend to post here???
    Seeing as anyone with a clue will have downloaded it straight from source,
    I'm not sure what sort of answer you're expecting from this question, or the
    one that follows.
    See above.

    Of course it's possible. That's a bit of a silly question.
    Well, they did digitally sign it, and I daresay that the checksum will be
    published somewhere.
    We're a team. You're an individual. An individual who's wasted a lot of his
    own, and others' time, in an effort to avoid installing Sun's own Java VM.
    Is there a specific reason why you don't want to do this?
    Naw, sorry, it doesn't entirely work like that. If we think your views are
    wrong/silly/pointless/etc., we're more than entitled to say so, and indeed
    to tell you to buzz off if the mood takes us.

    As another respondent has already asked, why are you so keen not to install
    Sun's VM/JRE?

    Richard Hopkins, Apr 15, 2005
  9. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Excellent advice, Mr. Hopkins! Please forgive me, but I lack technical
    information. I have practically SURVIVED on computers my entire life
    and I DON'T have what it takes! I know someone out there can help me
    with this one: What exactly is a checksum, and what does its value mean
    in this case?!
    Richard, I just prefer to use MS JVM technology because it is much
    faster than SunSystem's current JVM is. That does NOT mean however,
    that I will never look into there advancements in the future. As a
    matter of fact, because of the court ruling against MS, their license
    will be exhausted on Dec. 31, 2007.
    As always, thank you for your input. Have a great day!!

    Ryan, Apr 16, 2005