    How come 3rd party RAM doesn't always work in Dell PC?
    In one case I have to have one dell ram in one slot in order for a non-dell
    ram in the other slot to work.

    peter, Dec 8, 2004

  2. peter

    Tom Scales Guest

    This is a myth. Post the details so we know more.

    Tom Scales, Dec 8, 2004

  3. peter

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the third party RAM does not meet quality standards and conform to the specs
    required by the motherboard, it won't work. I have installed good quality
    generic RAM in Dell systems without any problems. Dell desktop motherboards do
    not require anything really special in the way of RAM. Never have. Even the
    "high-end" Precision workstations use generic memory, many of them generic
    RAMBUS.

    I have used MEMTEST-86 to test all added RAM, and if MEMTEST-86 runs a couple of
    test cycles without error, this gives me assurance that memory and motherboard
    are meant for each other... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 8, 2004