3rd party SATA or EIDE controllers on Ultra 10?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by m1k3b0, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. m1k3b0

    m1k3b0 Guest

    I have an Ultra 10 running Solaris 10 - old but dependable. I've been
    running two EIDE disks on it for a while - one 40GB root drive and a
    120GB data drive which recently died. I want to replace the data drive
    - ideally with a larger disk. However, the Ultra 10 onboard IDE
    controller only supports 28-bit LBA addressing and so will not address
    any disk space beyond 128GB.

    I tried using a Maxtor ATA133 (Promise PDC20269) PCI card but Solaris
    10 doesn't recognize it. Are there any 3rd party SATA or EIDE PCI disk
    controllers out there that are supported by Solaris 10 on the SPARC
    platform? If not, I guess I can just buy a replacement 120GB disk...
    but I'd like to be able to fully utilize modern disk drives on this old
    clunker.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    mikebo

    m1k3b0, Oct 16, 2005

  2. HI,

    You could add a USB 2.0 interface and have internal or external disks, I
    am not sure about firewire.

    Maybe Solaris 11 would accept your IDE interface!

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Oct 18, 2005

  3. m1k3b0

    mikebo Guest

    I'm not crazy about using USB 2.0 drives on a UNIX server - though
    there is no doubt the interface would be a LOT faster than the <20Mbs
    the on-board Ultra 10 IDE controller provides. :)

    However, I'm intrigued by the possibility that Solaris 11 may include
    support for 3rd party SATA or EIDE PCI controllers. But I'd like to
    know for sure before plunking down cash to buy a controller and disk.

    Where can I find this information? Sun has a history of supporting
    stuff on Solaris X86 that is unsupported on SPARC. So is there a
    Hardware Compatibility List for SPARC systems? I didn't think so...

    There must be SOMEONE out there (perhaps a Sun engineer) that can
    answer the question...
    Thanks,
    mikebo

    mikebo, Oct 20, 2005