3TB External HDD & Rear SATA Port = Slow Boot

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Dean-MN, Feb 10, 2014.

  1. Dean-MN

    Dean-MN Guest

    Hi,
    I needed additional data storage and got a 3TB Western Digital HDD in a
    Vantec NST-330SU3 enclosure. My thought was to connect the external HDD to
    the rear eSATA port to take advantage of two-way data traffic. The HDD was
    converted to GPD so the drive could be formatted to a single partition
    larger than 2TB. Now the boot time has gone from 2.5 minutes to 16 minutes
    while the external drive is doing something. I looked at the BIOS and see
    the external drive with settings the same as the two internal drives. The
    external drive is now connected to the computer with USB 3.0 and the boot
    time is back to normal. Transfer rates are 25 to 30 MB/sec.
    I have the feeling something somewhere is not right with the SATA
    configuration but can't figure it out. Any suggestions?
    --
    ....Dean
    OptiPlex 980 MT

    Dean-MN, Feb 10, 2014

  2. Some options :

    1) bad esata cable, causing a lot of errors on the bus
    2) bad esata circuit inside the external box, causing errors
    3) bad esata port on the mb, causing errors
    4) would be weird but ... compatibility issues btw the hd and the external
    box ( it can happen if you assemble it, it should not if preassembled but
    you know murphy... )

    anyway slow times as those mean crc errors on the line, and a lot too

    Alessandro Mazzini, Feb 11, 2014

  3. Dean-MN

    Dean-MN Guest

    Thank you for the list of suggestions. I think number 4 can be eliminated
    seeing as the HDD is working very well using a USB 3.0 connection. I will
    order another eSATA external data cable to see if number 1 could be the
    problem. It looks like the 16 minute boot using eSATA is not normal.

    Dean-MN, Feb 11, 2014
  4. you cannot rule out number 4 unless trying on another pc, sadly. I'm saying
    it from personal experience of a box that worked always well with usb, but
    the moment I plugged the esata ...

    it was a specific seagate hd fw conflicting with the box hw, in fact with a
    different disk the issue didn't show up... the fight I had with the shop
    that sold the box is another story...

    Alessandro Mazzini, Feb 11, 2014