    The manual describes a 2x2 and a 2x4 power supply but I do not
    understand the differences; the power supply is a Thermaltake.

    Thank you

    News Groups, Oct 25, 2006

  2. News Groups

    Paul Guest

    It would have helped if you could have given the exact model number
    or a link to the power supply.

    Your Core 2 Extreme X6800 uses 75W. 75W/12V * (1/0.90) = 6.94 amps.
    That is, the Vcore converter draws 6.94 amps if it is running
    at 90% efficiency, and is converting the needed 75W from the 12V
    supply.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S5

    The 2x2 connector is enough to supply 6.94A. The two yellow
    wires and pins of the 2x2 is good for 12A, or at least 6 amps
    per pin. (In other words, you can draw 12 amps through the
    wires, before the pins start to get hot, or there is the
    possibility of long term damage to the connector.)

    Connecting the entire 2x4 connector would only be required if
    a much higher power processor was installed. Maybe with the
    most power hungry processor that currently exists from Intel,
    you might justify using the whole 2x4. For the rest of them,
    connecting the 2x2 is enough.

    There are two aspects the "the amperes". There is the
    capability of the wires to carry the current (which is the
    analysis above), and there is also the ability of the
    power supply to produce the power in the first place.
    Your power supply only needs a 12V2 rating of 7A to meet
    the loading of your new processor. Most likely the
    supply has a lot more current than that to offer.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 25, 2006

  3. News Groups

    News Groups Guest

    News Groups, Oct 25, 2006
  4. News Groups

    News Groups Guest

    Paul,

    Your help is greatly appreciated; I want to avoid killing my new MB and
    CPU... I will go with the 2x2

    The power supply is a “Thermaltake W0116RU - ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V
    version 750W Power Supply”.
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0116/w0116.asp

    Output:
    [email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected]

    Connectors:
    1 x Main connector (20+4 pin)
    1 x 4+4-pin 2V Power Connector
    8 x peripheral
    6 x SATA
    1 x Floppy
    2 x PCI-E

    Thank you

    News Groups, Oct 26, 2006
  5. News Groups

    Paul Guest

    What I was worried about, is there are two ways to wire a 2x4 connector.
    And I don't even know if these two have names. I was seeing the first
    configuration on dual socket server boards. 12V1 powered Vcore for one
    processor, and 12V2 powered Vcore on the second processor. The second
    connector occurs on boards like your Gigabyte. Asus has done something
    similar on a few boards in the past. Now, one of these is EPS12V, and
    it could be the second one, and then I don't have a name for what the
    first one is.

    12V1 12V1 12V2 12V2
    GND GND GND GND

    12V1 12V1 12V1 12V1
    GND GND GND GND

    Since your power supply has four rails, it probably uses the first
    configuration. This has to remain a guess on my part, because the
    Thermaltakeusa web page doesn't have a wiring diagram. If you plug
    the first kind of connector, into a motherboard that is effectively
    wired like the second connector, then 12V1 is shorted to 12V2.
    Speaking in general terms, for power supplies, that is not a good
    thing to do. (Current would flow from one output to the other, as
    a function of wire resistance, and the voltage difference between
    the two 12V outputs.)

    I expect your _motherboard_ is wired like the second connector.
    It would be safe, to split the 12V1/12V2 thing in half on the
    Thermaltake, and plug a 2x2 section into the motherboard, as then
    the 12V1 and 12V2 are not getting shorted together. And since your
    processor is not drawing max power, the four pins should be enough
    to handle the current.

    With triple or quad output power supplies, I recommend obtaining a
    wiring diagram from the manufacturer. Few of these supplies have this
    necessary information. Even though they may make passing reference
    to different specs, I prefer to see the wiring diagram in detail,
    as to which connector uses which rail. That makes it easier to
    predict whether there will be a burning smell or not :) Even the
    wire colors may not be a good predictor, as some multirail supplies
    use the same solid yellow colored wire for all the 12V outputs.
    Some companies mix a second stripe color with the yellow insulation,
    and then you can see a slight difference in the yellow wire, as
    a function of which rail it is connected to.

    Good info is hard to find, and there is not even one manufacturer
    I can point to, who does a superior job at documentation.

    You can plug in a 2x2 section, and get on with your build. And
    then send off an email and see if they will provide a wiring
    diagram for future reference.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 26, 2006