4-8x agp video card on older 2-4 agp motherboard?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Roger Wilkerson, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. Is anyone run an 8x agp video card on an older 4x agp motherboard slot?
    I can''t seem to get a straigt answer from ATI or ASUS.

    Roger Wilkerson, Oct 26, 2006

  2. I have run an ATI 9600 and 9700 Pro (both 8x) video cards on a P4T-E
    (Asus 4x AGP) motherboard. Never had any problems.

    Michael W. Ryder, Oct 26, 2006

  3. Michael, any idea why I can't get my x850 to run? When I boot up with
    it in, after loading windows, the screen goes blank. Can't do anything
    but power off. When I replace it with the Radeon 8500, it will boot
    right up without any problems.

    Roger Wilkerson, Oct 26, 2006
  4. Roger  Wilkerson

    First of One Guest

    http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=18872

    Yes, it will work. If the screen goes blank *after* Windows has finished
    to do with incompatible AGP voltage. Probably a driver issue.

    1. Try using the other monitor port on the back of the card.
    2. Try booting into Safe Mode. If that works, install the Catalyst drivers
    under Safe Mode.

    First of One, Oct 26, 2006
  5. Roger  Wilkerson

    Frodo Guest

    I would say 99% percent of the X8 AGP cards also work at AGP X4
    Does the X850 come with the secondary power connection?
    If so, is it plugged in?
    (Could be a 4 or 6 pin connection)

    Frodo, Oct 26, 2006
  6. Roger  Wilkerson

    Mark Guest

    Yes I'm successfully running an x850 in an Intel 850emv mobo (agp 4x
    max). Are you getting any video at all at bios boot? My old 8500
    would not show any video at all up to the point of the windows loading
    screen.

    Mark, Oct 28, 2006
  7. Roger  Wilkerson

    Mark Guest

    I have to agree it sounds like a driver problem. For sure you've
    tried it with the native xp driver?

    Mark, Oct 28, 2006