    another stick in and its running fine in dual channel with 2gb
    indicated. Then I try another 2 sticks and it doesn't even boot. They
    work fine alone or in pairs. This board is supposed to support 4 gb's.

    The New Guy, Jan 18, 2007

  2. The New Guy

    DaveW Guest

    Most motherboards become somewhat unstable when they attempt to run the
    timings of four RAM sticks. Three sticks often work, but the fourth won't.
    It's just the current state of technology. By the way, I believe you would
    find that (2) 2 GB RAM sticks would work, if you have to have 4 GB of total
    RAM.

    DaveW, Jan 18, 2007

  3. The New Guy

    The New Guy Guest

    Most motherboards become somewhat unstable when they
    It would appear rather deceptive for Intel not to mention
    this in their information pages on their motherboards.
    2 gb sticks are still very, very expensive now. They are
    also touting several boards' ability to use 8 gb of ram
    now. Would it help if I was using better quality ram?
    Or I wonder if certain types work in a 4 gb environment
    better than others? The 915 chipset is not current. I
    wonder if using a 945, 955, or 965 chipset would help?
    If anyone is using 4 gbs of ram in these boards please
    pipe up and tell us how to do it.

    The New Guy, Jan 19, 2007
  4. Had a very similar problem, it was a bad memory stick.

    Put in two which boot. Replace one at a time with another part and stop
    if you find one which doesn't work. Alternatively, boot with just one at
    a time, see if one fails that way.

    If this is the right memory I would be very surprised if it is a design
    flaw. If the board spec says it will support up to 4GB, look elsewhere
    first, and then for a problem with your board rather than the design.

    I've seen this on both Intel and ASUS boards, and it has yet to be the
    board.

    Bill Davidsen, Jan 19, 2007
  5. The New Guy

    The New Guy Guest

    4 x 533mhz 1gb sticks worked before but now I'm trying a different
    My memory works fine. Each of the 4 sticks and each pair work great.
    What is "right" memory? Better quality? I'm using some very generic
    stuff. And the other stuff I was using that did work a while back, was
    very generic as well. And do the ram timings indicate the quality of the
    memory? Should I back off them a bit? I think it was 5-4-4-11. It has
    a recommended amount in the bios, to show the user what to put in but I
    noticed that when I changed the memory it reverted to auto instead of
    manual. I guess that's good. Unless its not.

    The New Guy, Jan 19, 2007
  6. In this case, the "right" memory is whatever the motherboard is speced
    to use. And if the timings provided by the memory vendor don't match
    what you are using with the auto setting, it's probably worth at least
    trying a manual setting which does match.

    The fact that other memory did work suggests that you can get this
    working. My ASUS boards have a ton on options in memory setup, including
    not only timing but o/c the memory but not the CPU. With the idea of
    heavy i/o loading the bus, I bought faster memory than needed, to allow
    o/c if I feel it's needed. So far I don't.

    Oh, check the voltage setting vs. the voltage of the memory sticks. I
    don't have a lot of wisdom on that, but there are lots of diddle
    settings on the memory voltage, and memory is available with different
    voltage specs, so that might be an issue, this memory could want a bit
    more voltage. You are the judge of the advisability of that, of course.

    Bill Davidsen, Jan 19, 2007
  7. The New Guy

    The New Guy Guest

    In this case, the "right" memory is whatever the motherboard is speced
    to use. And if the timings provided by the memory vendor don't match
    what you are using with the auto setting, it's probably worth at least
    trying a manual setting which does match.

    The fact that other memory did work suggests that you can get this
    working. My ASUS boards have a ton on options in memory setup, including
    not only timing but o/c the memory but not the CPU. With the idea of
    heavy i/o loading the bus, I bought faster memory than needed, to allow
    o/c if I feel it's needed. So far I don't.

    Oh, check the voltage setting vs. the voltage of the memory sticks. I
    don't have a lot of wisdom on that, but there are lots of diddle
    settings on the memory voltage, and memory is available with different
    voltage specs, so that might be an issue, this memory could want a bit
    more voltage. You are the judge of the advisability of that, of course.[/QUOTE]

    Can anybody recommend a webpage on this? Its getting complicated! I
    only partially understand what you just recommended. Reading needed.

    The New Guy, Jan 19, 2007