    help?

    Thanks,
    Drew

    Drew, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Drew wrote:

    |I see this posted all over place. but I can never find the answer
    | for the procedure to allow XP Professional to report 4GB instead
    | of 3GB when 4 i GB chips are installed. I have an AV8 with an
    | FX-53 and 4 GB of Corsair 3200-PRO. Bios sees it, windows
    | does not. Can anybody help?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Drew

    Hi Drew -

    Try adding the /3GB switch to the operating system line in Boot.ini. This
    switch provides the user with a 3 gigabyte address spaces, instead of the
    usual 2 gigabytes.

    Example Boot.ini:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows
    XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /3GB

    (last line wraps where it shouldn't)

    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Drew

    Mike Foss Guest

    Nope, that won't help. Read this:
    http://h41111.www4.hp.com/workstations/uk/en/pdf/white_papers/new/RAM_alloc_WindowsXP.pdf

    32-bit XP Professional maps PCI address space (among other
    things) to the top 1GB of memory, and subtracts this memory
    from the displayed total. There is no way to disable this mapping.

    Mike Foss, Oct 20, 2005