    red, orange & yellow. Anyone know if the ATX spec has changed since this
    mobo was made? Am I SOL unless I get a different power supply?

    Thanks.

    Lee MacMillan, Jul 1, 2007

  2. Lee MacMillan

    Graham W Guest

    That might be simplest thing to do, Lee. New boards come with a 24 pin
    power socket but the PSU makers usually use a connector that has
    20 + 4 so that a bit of it can be unclipped and used seperately.

    HTH

    Graham W, Jul 1, 2007

  3. I checked the PSU in my other machine and it has the same 4 color 4 pin
    connector so I'm thinking this mobo may be the odd man out so to speak. The
    PSU has a 6 pin PCI-Express connector that is 3 grounds and 3 12v lines. I
    wonder if I could use 4 pins of that connector to make it work. Or maybe
    just see if it will fire up without the 4 pin connector. What do you think?

    Lee MacMillan, Jul 1, 2007
  4. I found the right connector. There were so many unused connectors bundled
    together I just missed it the first time around. Plus it was confusing
    since the other 4 pin connector was bundled with the 20 pin ATX connector.

    Lee MacMillan, Jul 1, 2007
  5. Lee MacMillan

    Graham W Guest

    Good!

    Have you made it go yet?

    Graham W, Jul 1, 2007
  6. Lee MacMillan

    Lee M. Guest

    Yep, it's running right now with the Athlon 1800+ that was in the 8KHA+.
    The 8RDA3+ with nForce 400 chipset is about 10% faster on the SuperPi
    benchmark than the KT266A chipset. Tomorrow I will install an Athlon 2700+
    with 333FSB and I expect it will really fly (relatively speaking.) I'm
    trying to stay in the socket A world for as long as I can. I don't play
    games or do any real CPU intensive work so this should be fine for quite a
    while. With this latest upgrade, my system will be Vista capable should I
    decide to go that way (running XP w/SP2 right now.)

    Thanks for your help Graham. We may be the only ones still reading this
    board ;-)

    Lee

    Lee M., Jul 1, 2007
  7. Lee MacMillan

    Graham W Guest

    Well, I think Shep and DaveL look in on a fairly frequent basis but I look
    for
    new posts each day.

    That 2700+ sounds quite good! This system is 2400+ at stock speed
    on Win98SE which is now getting quite flaky having lost half of the
    USB stuff and not being able to run other USB properly. BTW, it's an
    8RDA+ board here with 512k memory.

    I've recently joined the opposition and bought a Dell Dimension E520
    which comes with a Core 2 duo CPU and Vista Business as standard
    for about £240 (don't know what that is in N fl ) The E4300 is very
    o/c-able
    according to some of the forums who look at these things.

    I'm still 'doing things' with it to make it safe for the 'net but its
    already got
    my old multi card reader in it and I was thinking about a PC-Tel modem
    (being the one that the factory fit) since I have a new one in a box here
    which I could use to serve as an analogue back-up to the ADSL
    connection that the w98 m/c currently uses. The Dell will get plugged
    into the D-Link DSL-G624T when it and I are ready for the wider world.

    Hey, it's magic how USB pen-drives just get picked up automagically!
    But the card reader took 15mins to install itself as it has 4 socket
    channels which get assigned as drive letters. All I needed to do was
    press 'OK' now and again - magic!

    Anyway, glad you're sorted on the PSU front and it is actually working.

    Graham W, Jul 1, 2007
  8. Lee MacMillan

    Lee M. Guest

    I have an 8RDA+ as my 2nd desktop. Got it from my son and it runs ok but
    many of the caps are bulging/leaking and the CPU voltage fluctates between
    1.4 and 1.6 almost constantly. Tried a 2500+ CPU in it a few months ago and
    it wouldn't even boot. I'll put the 1800+ in it and sell the 2200+ that is
    in it now. It only gets turned on 2 or 3 times a week and then just for
    surfing or newsgroups so the slower CPU will be just fine.

    Lee M., Jul 2, 2007
  9. Lee MacMillan

    dave Guest

    Yeah. I'm still hanging around. I don't game either but I will attempt to
    play Half Life ep3 and TF2 when they come out in the fall. I sure hope my
    old 8RDA+ can keep up. For everything else I use it for it seems to be just
    fine.

    DaveL

    dave, Jul 2, 2007
  10. Lee MacMillan

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Graham.

    I'm still here! ;<)

    I check for new posts every day, but there haven't been any lately. Maybe
    everybody else's experience is like mine: I installed my new MF570sli (with
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ in the AM2 slot) back in December and it "just
    works". ;<) It was my present to myself to celebrate the end of the Vista
    beta. It has been running Vista Ultimate x64 (and dual-booting x86, with a
    couple of WinXP's loaded but never used anymore) ever since I got the RTM
    version.

    It replaced the faithful KDA3+ that had been running for about 3 years.
    Well, that one did have a short in one memory slot, but it ran fine using
    the other two slots. So I handed it down to my grandson, who turned 4 in
    April, and installed a full retail Vista Ultimate x64 on it. His parents
    are both computer professionals, but he has the only 64-bit rig in the
    family. ;<)

    It's good for us lurkers to post now and then, just to let each other know
    that we are still here. If we wait until our EPoX mobo has a problem, this
    NG might seem to have faded away. And that's a Good Thing!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Vista Ultimate x64 on EPoX MF570sli)

    R. C. White, Jul 2, 2007
  11. Lee MacMillan

    Graham W Guest

    hi RC,

    Sorry to have missed you off the list! It's good to know you are still
    around and kicking and sounds like the 4yr old will have fun have fun
    with his 'new' acquisition!

    Cheers es 73 de Gray.

    Graham W, Jul 2, 2007
  12. Lee MacMillan

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Graham.
    Translation, please? ;^}

    RC

    R. C. White, Jul 2, 2007
  13. Lee MacMillan

    Graham W Guest

    It's amateur radio jargon equivalent to 'and best wishes from'
    for the three words following 'Cheers'. 8¬)

    OK?

    Graham W, Jul 2, 2007
  14. Lee MacMillan

    R. C. White Guest

    And "Gray" = "Graham"?

    Ten-Four! Over and Out! ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, Jul 2, 2007