4 x 1GB on P6N Diamond = non-working system?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Patrick Vervoorn, Sep 27, 2007.

  1. Hi there,

    I've ordered a PC at a local computer store which contains a P6N Diamond
    mainboard, and will contain 4 x 1GB of memory, Kingston modules. The CPU
    is a Q6600.

    I just went by them this evening, and they reported the P6N would work
    fine with 2 x 1GB, and also works fine with 4 x 512MB modules, but once
    they inserted the 4 x 1GB modules, the board wouldn't even boot. They
    tried all the available BIOS versions (1.2, then downgraded/tried 1.1 and
    1.0), but no go. The modules are on the certified list of MSI for this
    mainboard.

    They also found some information on the MSI forums that there are
    problems, and that possibly a beta BIOS would fix this.

    Is anything known about this issue in this newsgroup? Does anyone have a
    direct link to the beta BIOS, if such is available? The only article here
    dealing with the P6N Diamond, and 4 x 1GB, is someone reporting success in
    doing just this, so it's a bit unclear what exactly is the problem.

    Regards,

    Patrick.

    Patrick Vervoorn, Sep 27, 2007

  2. [some snippage]
    This was fixed by replacing the memory by another type of Kingston
    ValueRam.

    I did have one other, rather nasty problem with this system:

    After installing Windows XP, and patching it up, the system would
    periodically crash heavily, and I'd ended up with a 'scrambled' harddisk.
    I.e. C: en D: partitions and the partition table itself damaged beyond
    repair.

    I finally traced this down to the NVidia SATA drivers, in combination with
    the Seagate 7200.10 HDD, and the Command Queuing (aka Native Command
    Queuing, aka NCQ) option in those drivers. It seems this combination did
    not work well together, because the system would remain stable with:

    a) the standard WinXP IDE drivers (which do not support NCQ)

    but also with:

    b) the NVidia drivers with the 'Command Queuing' checkbox unchecked.

    I finally fixed this problem, together with the shop I bought the system,
    by installing a new harddisk, from Western Digital:

    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=233

    So, if people notice Windows crashes and/or corruption with an nForce 680i
    board, in combination with a Seagate 7200.10 HDD, this might be a possible
    cause...

    Regards,

    Patrick.

    Patrick Vervoorn, Oct 5, 2007